LUBBOCK, TEXAS – The New Mexico State men’s tennis team suffered a 6-0 loss to Texas Tech on Saturday, March 30. The 29th-ranked Red Raiders took all six of the singles matches from the Aggies, while no doubles matches were played due to high winds in the area.
The Aggies were stopped in straight sets in five of the six matches, however junior Germain Degardin kept up a fight to the very end with a three-set tiebreaker. The last match to finish, Degardin and Francisco Zambon battled 6-2, 4-6 in the first two sets before taking the third and final set to a 1-0 (10-7) result.
Sophomore Strahinja Trecakov fell 6-1, 6-2 at the No 2 court to the 95th-ranked Hugo Dojas. NM State moves to 8-10 this season and the Red Raiders improved to 12-5.
The Aggies get back to the NM State Tennis Center for the final three matches of the regular season. The team welcomes Western New Mexico on Wednesday, April 2 at 12 p.m. (MT).
#29 Texas Tech 6, New Mexico State 0
Lubbock, Texas (McLeod Tennis Center)
1. Felipe Soares (TT) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #95 Hugo Dojas (TT) def. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Francisco Zambon (TT) def. Germain Degardin (NMSU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Johann Willems (TT) def. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Maxime Hinnisdaels (TT) def. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Jolan Cailleau (TT) def. Naveen Manivannan (NMSU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Marc Westgate / Naveen Manivannan (NMSU) vs. Hugo Dojas / Felipe Soares (TT) no result
2. Paul Denele / Patrick Pfister (NMSU) vs. Carlos DiLaura / Johann Willems (TT) no result
3. Germain Degardin / Charles Baron (NMSU) vs. Maxime Hinnisdaels / Francisco Zambon (TT) no result
Records: New Mexico State 8-10; #29 Texas Tech 12-5.
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (2,1,6,4,5,3)
Notes: Doubles not played due to high winds