ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The
New Mexico State men's tennis team picked up four singles points in the 4-3 win
over DePaul after the Blue Devils made an early attempt by picking up the
doubles point early in the match on Sunday, March 10.
DePaul won at the first and second court for the point, but
Germain Degardin and Yannick Blank teamed up for a 8-3 win at the third
position in doubles.
"We bounced back really well in singles play today and
played strong," head coach Carlos Vargas said. "We saw good improvement from a
lot of the players today."
AS singles play got under way, The Aggies picked up wins at
the four middle courts, only slipping at Nos. 1 and 6. Degardin breezed to a
6-3 and 6-0 win at the second court. Marc Westgate, Paul Denele and Patrick
Pfister each won at their respective courts in straight sets for the Aggie win.
Westgate battled for a 7-6 win in his first game and came up
with a 6-4 win in game two for the point at the third position. Denele worked
in similar fashion for a 6-1 win in the first set and a tough battled 7-5 win
in the second game at No. four.
Naveen Manivannan worked through three hard-fought sets at
the sixth position with a loss in the first game 6-3. He came back for a 6-3
win in game two, but fell in the final game 6-1.
The Aggies gets back to the NM State Tennis Center for two
matches. First, the aggies welcome Western New Mexico on March 17 and then host
UT Permian Basin on Tuesday, March 19 for a midweek dual.
1. Filip Dzanko (D) def. Daniel Fernandez 6-1, 6-3
2. Germain Degardin (N) def. Mathias Hambach 6-3, 6-0
3. Marc Westgate (N) def. Sten Leusink (D) 7-6, 6-4
4. Paul Denele (N) def. Jan-Willem Feilzer (D) 6-1, 7-5
5. Patrick Pfister (N) def. Kyle Johnson (D) 6-2, 6-2
6. Paul John (D) def. Naveen Manivannan (N) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
1. Feilzer/Hambach (D) def. Fernandez/Manivannan (N) 8-3
2. Dzanko/Leusink (D) def. Westgate/Denele (N) 8-6
3. Degardin/Blank (N) def. John/Johnson (N) 8-3