SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS -- The New Mexico State men't tennis team claimed its fourth win of the season as it claimed a 6-1 win over the St. Mary's Rattlers. The Aggies are now 4-3 on the season.
Picking up the doubles point, each of the Aggie pairs won in close matches. As Luis Ramirez and Marc Westgate battled to a 8-6 win in the first spot, the other two Aggie duos prevailed with 8-5 victories.
"It was a great win for us," head coach Carlos Vargas said. "It was a good way to prepare us for conference play. We face UTSA tomorrow and this helped us prepare for that WAC (Western Athletic Conference) dual."
Each of the Aggies in the second through sixth positions earned points for NM State win wins in straight sets. It was Ramirez that battled through three tough sets before falling 6-4, 4-6, (10-8).
Sophomore Patrick Pfister sailed to a 6-1, 6-0 win at the No. 4 spot, while freshman Daniel Fernandez reamined undefeated in singles play with a 6-3, 6-0 decision in favor of the Aggie.
NM State now looks to open WAC play against the UTSA Roadrunners on Saturday, Feb. 9, at 10 a.m.
New Mexico State 6, #44 St. Mary's 1
Feb 07, 2013 at San Antonio, Texas (St. Mary's Tennis Courts)
1. Andrej Klipa (STMU) def. L. Ramirez (NMSU) 6-4, 4-6,
2. D. Fernandez (NMSU) def. Zach Nicholson (STMU) 6-3, 6-0
3. M. Westgate (NMSU) def. Jared Fellows (STMU) 6-1, 6-1
4. P. Pfister (NMSU) def. Carlos Olea (STMU) 6-1, 6-0
5. G. Degardin (NMSU) def. Matt Banner (STMU) 6-1, 7-6
6. S. Trecakov (NMSU) def. Brien Galon (STMU) 6-1, 6-2