Expected Performance and Selection Criteria
1. Performance of required tasks (70 Points)
Smoki II must be capable of consistently serving an important task in a stadium environment during the course of an ongoing NCAA Division I Football contest. The task is to retrieve the kicking tee after each Aggie kick off. This must be done in an agile manner, off lead, with the handler staying on the home team sideline. The most critical ability is to leave the sideline when commanded, proceed to the kicking tee and retrieve it to the handler on the home sideline. All this is to be done with dispatch and under close command by the handler.
- Ability to work in a football game day stadium environment
Smoki II should be able to consistently demonstrate responsiveness to handler commands within a loud and distractive environment. The event will be either afternoon or evening. Crowds and fans may attempt to distract commands being given by the handler. Control of Smoki II in such an environment is important so that there is no unintended disruption to the game environment.
2. Pleasant and Friendly Disposition (30 points)
Smoki II should have a pleasant and likeable disposition when around children and adults. Smoki II should be able to interface with strangers in a crowded environment with ease and without reservation or aggressiveness.
3. Appearance (20 Points)
Smoki II should be of good health and in good physical condition. The appearance should be a dog that is well groomed, comfortable and confident in the football stadium environment.
4. Agility (10 Points)
Smoki II should be hard working, responsive to commands, deft and nimble in movement.
5. Commitment of Smoki II and Handler to be present for all home games (Mandatory)
Smoki II will be an important part of the Aggie Football Game Day Experience and must be able to commit to attendance at all home games for the 2012 season. Those games and dates are highlighted below. Smoki II's owner / handler will be asked to enter into a written agreement with NM State prior to the start of the 2012 Football Season that will be based primarily upon the issues presented in this document. Accommodations will be made at the start of the season such as allowing the handler to run Smoki on lead for a few games if necessary to complete the training and orientation to the game environment.
2012 NM State Football Schedule
|Thurs., Aug. 30||Sacramento State||Las Cruces, N.M.||6 p.m.|
|Sat., Sept. 22||New Mexico||Las Cruces, N.M.||6 p.m.|
|Sat., Sept. 29||UTSA||Las Cruces, N.M.||6 p.m.|
|Sat., Oct. 27||Louisiana Tech||Las Cruces, N.M.||6 p.m.|
|Sat., Nov. 10||San Jose State||Las Cruces, N.M.||1:30 p.m.|
|Sat., Nov. 24||BYU||Las Cruces, N.M.||1:30 p.m.|
Smoki II may be called upon from time to time to take part in events or activities designed to promote NM State football and the game day experience. Each appearance requested by NM State will be reimbursed in accordance with the standard appearance reimbursement.
Recognizing that this commitment of time in training and service carries a burden to the handler, NM State will provide the following reimbursement to cover time and expense.
$50 per home football game attended and participated in
$50 per NM State sanctioned appearance
Recognition of Smoki II and owner / handler on NMStateSports.com
Aggie game apparel for handler
Smoki the Wonder Dog II
Date: Saturday, August 18, 2001
Time 8:00a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Location: Aggie Memorial Stadium, North Entry
For the football seasons from the mid-1990's to the early 2000's Aggie Football fans were entertained by Smoki the Wonder Dog who would retrieve the kicking tee after each Aggie kick off. It's time to bring Smoki back to Aggie Football. We are seeking the dog with the right stuff to become Smoki II for the 2012 football season.
- 1) Dogs will be brought onto the field for judging in the order in which they sign up for the try out.
- 2) Dogs not currently being judged will remain on the upper stands on the west side of the stadium under control of their handler.
- 3) To help replicate the game day environment music will be broadcast over the stadium loud speakers
- 4) Tryout will consist of three attempts at retrieving an item from the mid point of the 35 yard line at the south end of the stadium. The first item can be any item brought by the handler. The second and third try will be retrieval of a kicking tee. Owner / handlers can either bring their own or one will be provided.
- 5) In addition the judges will be meeting each dog to judge disposition
- 6) In the case of ties a run off may be conducted at the home opener on Aug 30th.
- 7) Each participant will be asked to review and sign a written document that describes the expectations placed upon which ever dog has the right stuff and is selected as Smoki II for the 2012 Aggie Football season.
- 8) Every team entering and participating will be awarded a certificate, a bag of doggie treats and a tee shirt.
- 9) Access to water and rest rooms will be provided for all contestants and visitors. This is a public tryout and visitors are welcome.