LAS CRUCES, N.M. - New Mexico State football fans watched Smoki the Wonder Dog retrieve the kickoff tee from the field after ever Aggie kickoff during home football games from the mid-1990's to early 2000's. This fun tradition was loved by Aggie fans of all ages. The NM State Athletics Department is excited to announce that the longtime tradition is coming back to Aggie football games this fall.
Tryouts will be held on Aug. 18 from 8 a.m. until noon on the field of Aggie Memorial Stadium for the next Smoki the Wonder Dog. If you think your dog has what it takes to be Smoki II, please go to www.nmstatesports.com/smoki for tryout rules and to pre-register online.
The event is open to the public and media is encouraged to attend.
Smoki the Wonder Dog II
Date: Saturday, August 18, 2001
Time 8:00a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Location: Aggie Memorial Stadium, North Entry
- 1) Dogs will be brought onto the field for judging in the order in which they sign up for the try out.
- 2) Dogs not currently being judged will remain on the upper stands on the west side of the stadium under control of their handler.
- 3) To help replicate the game day environment music will be broadcast over the stadium loud speakers
- 4) Tryout will consist of three attempts at retrieving an item from the mid point of the 35 yard line at the south end of the stadium. The first item can be any item brought by the handler. The second and third try will be retrieval of a kicking tee. Owner / handlers can either bring their own or one will be provided.
- 5) In addition the judges will be meeting each dog to judge disposition
- 6) In the case of ties a run off may be conducted at the home opener on Aug 30th.
- 7) Each participant will be asked to review and sign a written document that describes the expectations placed upon which ever dog has the right stuff and is selected as Smoki II for the 2012 Aggie Football season.
- 8) Every team entering and participating will be awarded a certificate, a bag of doggie treats and a tee shirt.
- 9) Access to water and rest rooms will be provided for all contestants and visitors. This is a public tryout and visitors are welcome.