LAS CRUCES, N.M. (March 3) - The New Mexico State women's tennis team was defeated 5-2 by the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks on Sunday morning, March 3, at the Aggie Tennis Center. The Aggies move to 1-7 on the season.
While Denise Van Der Ben and Annemieke Witte picked up an 8-4 win on the second court in doubles, it was not enough to get the point. Ginet Pinero and Ros-Polly Nguyen had a hard fought loss at the top doubles position with an 8-6 loss. A Lumberjack win at the third court gave NAU the first point of the day.
"We are slowly recovering and playing better," head coach Ivan Fernandez said. "We just have to keep giving ourselves opportunities to win. I know things will turn around soon."
In singles play, Witte picked up a three-set win at the fourth court. She fell in the first set 4-6, but won her next two sets for the Aggie point.
Nguyen also went three sets for a win at the fifth position. She won her first set 6-3, but then dropped the second set 1-6 before making a comeback for the point in set three 7-6. Both Nguyen and Witte went 2-0 on the weekend in singles play for NM State.
The Aggies get comfortable at home with two matches next weekend at the Aggies Tennis Center. First, NM State hosts Western New Mexico on March 8 and then welcomes Tarleton State on March 10.
New Mexico State 2, Northern Arizona 5
Aggie Tennis Center
1. Ghizelene Doballah (NAU) def. Jodie Williams (NMS) 6-1, 6-0
2. Hannah Stone (NAU) def. Ginet Pinero (NMS) 6-2, 6-0
3. Malia Wahinepio (NAU) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMS) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
4. Annemieke Witte (NMS) def. Alice Pacaut (NAU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMS) def. Nicole Perez (NAU) 6-3, 1-6, 7-6
6. Tatum Rochin (NAU) def. Lisa Roslanova (NMS) 7-5, 7-5
1. Stone/Vang (NAU) def. Pinero/ Nguyen (NMS) 8-6
2. Van Der Ben/ Witte (NMS) def. Doballah/Perez (NAU) 8-4
3. Pacaut/Wahinepio (NAU) def. Williams/Roslanova (NMS)8-5