LAS CRUCES, N.M. (April 27) - The New Mexico State University women's tennis team came within one point of upsetting top seeded No. 51 Fresno State, falling 4-3 in the semifinals of the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) tennis tournament on Friday at the NM State Tennis Center.
The Aggies began the match by dropping the first two matches of the doubles point. The senior tandem of Manon Sylvain and Natalia Salum were leading 7-5 in the No. 1 doubles match before the match was called.
Despite dropping the doubles point, the Aggies battled tough through the singles matches. Sophomore Ros-Polly Nguyen earned the first win for NM State when she defeated Laura Pola 6-4, 6-0, in the No. 6 singles match.
After the No. 2 match ended in a victory for Fresno State, NM State answered with their own victory when Salum defeated Melissa McQueen 6-4, 6-3, in the No. 4 match.
The match went back and forth once again, with Fresno State earning the victory at No. 1 singles and NM State earning the victory in the No. 3 match shortly afterward. Junior Ginet Pinero defeated Olga Kirpicheva 7-6 (9-7), 6-2, to even the meet at three points each.
Sophomore Annemieke Witte was able to battle back after losing the first set to win the second set to force a third set. Witte was able to bring the match to within two games of a victory, but fell short, losing to Bianca Modoc 6-0, 3-6, 6-4, in the No. 5 match.
"I'm so proud of these girls for taking a team ranked near the top 50 to a deciding match," head coach Ivan Fernandez said. "We knew it was going to be tough, they had beaten us easily earlier this year but today we showed how much heart these Aggies have.
"We split the singles with a great team today. The doubles were close and we were actually serving for the match at No. 1 singles when the point was decided. It was a great finish to the year for NM State and our two seniors."
(4) NM State vs. (1) Fresno State
2012 WAC Tennis Tournament
April 27, 2012 at Las Cruces, N.M.
NM State Tennis Center
Fresno State 4, NM State 3
1. Marianne Jodoin (FS) def. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) 7-6 (9-7), 6-2
4. Natalia Salum (NMSU) def. Melissa McQueen (FS) 6-4, 6-3
5. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
6. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Laura Pola (FS) 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 2, 4, 1, 3, 5
1. Sylvain/Salum (NMSU) vs. Jodoin/Pola (FS) 7-5, unfinished
2. Agrawal/Modoc (FS) def. Williams/Witte (NMSU) 8-1
3. McQueen/Kirpicheva (FS) def. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3