SANTA CLARA, Calif. (April 5) - The New Mexico State women's tennis team lost its final road match of the season at Santa Clara 5-2 Thursday afternoon at the Broncos' Degheri Tennis Center.
Santa Clara (9-7) jumped out to an early lead at home over NM State (9-7, 1-2 WAC) by taking two of three doubles matches. Aggie senior co-captains Natalia Salum and Manon Sylvain paired up to win at the No. 2 spot, 8-5.
The Aggies managed two wins in singles play. Junior Ginet Pinero won in straight sets 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 3 slot. Sophomore Ros-Polly Nguyen won her sixth straight match and ninth of her last 10 contests with an easy 6-2, 6-1 win at No.6 singles.
"We have been really up and down the last few weeks," head coach Ivan Fernandez said. "We just cannot seem to get everyone playing well on the same days, which has cost us some matches. I am confident that we will get it together in the next few weeks leading up to the WAC championships at the end of the month."
The Aggies return home to face Western New Mexico in their next match on April 17 at the NM State Tennis Center.
For all of the latest Aggie women's tennis news, click NMStateSports.com.
New Mexico State at Santa Clara
Apr 5, 2012 at Santa Clara, Calif.
Degheri Tennis Center
Santa Clara 5, New Mexico State 2
1. #38 Katie Le (SCU) def. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Natalia Salum (NMSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 4-6, 6-3, 11-9
6. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Brittany Warly (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Le/Agra (SCU) def. Jodie Williams/Witte (NMSU) 8-1
2. Salum/Sylvain (NMSU) def. Lamble/Wagner (SCU) 8-5
3. Skaras/Warly (SCU) def. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU) 8-3