The Aggies (8-5) have won seven of their last nine matches after the victory over the Roadrunners. NM State finished 1-1 during its three-game Texas road swing after a suspended match against St. Andrew's to begin the week and a 6-1 loss at Texas State on Tuesday.
UTSA (7-7) opened the match by taking the doubles point by winning two out of three matches at the Nos. 1 and 2 positions for an early 1-0 advantage.
NM State fought back in singles action by winning five of six contests on the day. Senior captain Manon Sylvain won in straight sets in the No. 1 slot. Freshman Denise Van Der Ben, junior Ginet Pinero and sophomore Ros-Polly Nguyen also claimed two-set wins at their respective singles positions.
Sophomore Annemieke Witte pulled out a three-set win after taking the opening set 7-6. UTSA responded by taking set two at 6-2. Witte won the superbreaker 10-8 to post NM State's fifth point of the match.
Senior Natalia Salum suffered a tight three-set downfall at No. 3 singles. Salum dropped set one 6-4 but bounced back in the second with a 6-2 win. The Aggie co-captain lost a close superbreaker 10-8 to give UTSA its final team point of the match.
"This was a good win for the team today," head coach Ivan Fernandez said. "After a few days of rain, bad weather, a cancelled match, limited practice, and a tough fight with Texas State on Tuesday to come back and beat UTSA today was a solid win for us.
"I'm very happy with the intensity and desire that the team played with today. I hope they realize how good it feels to be rewarded by fighting hard and coming out with a win."
The Aggies return home to face Abilene Christian at 2 p.m. Friday, March 30 at the NM State Tennis Center.
For all of the latest Aggie women's tennis news, click NMStateSports.com.
New Mexico State at UTSA
Mar 22, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
New Mexico State 5, UTSA 2
1. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) def. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) 6-2, 6-3
2. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) 6-4, 6-4
3. Micaela Silva (UTSA) def. Natalia Salum (NMSU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 6-4, 6-2
5. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Irene Gonzalez (UTSA) 7-6, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Natalie Hand (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
1. Peana/Jonsson (UTSA) def. Salum/Sylvain (NMSU) 8-6
2. Silva/Vivian Carrillo (UTSA) def. Witte/Van Der Ben (NMSU) 8-5
3. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU) def. Hand/Menon (UTSA) 8-4