New Mexico State (7-4) has won five of its last six matches overall. The Miners (2-12) lost their fourth straight match Wednesday. Since 2003, NM State has won eight of the last 11 matches in the all-time series and the Aggies have now won four straight matches at UTEP.
The Crimson and White jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after wins at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles. Junior Ginet Pinero paired with Ros-Polly Nguyen for an 8-4 win at the No. 3 slot. After an Aggie loss at No. 1 doubles, senior Manon Sylvain and sophomore Annemieke Witte earned the crucial doubles point in extra games with a 9-8 victory at the No. 2 position.
Aggie senior Natalia Salum improved to 8-1 in singles this season with an easy 6-0, 6-1 victory at No. 4 singles. Fellow co-captain Sylvain improved to 5-4 for the Aggies at the No. 1 position this season after a 6-1, 6-3 win as the second Aggie off the court. After the pair of wins by the senior co-captains, NM State led 3-0.
Nguyen clinched the match at 4-1 with a hard-fought 7-6, 7-6 win at No. 5 singles. NM State dropped the final two singles matches in three sets to result in the 4-3 final score.
"This is a great win for us today in El Paso," head coach Ivan Fernandez said. "It was very positive to see us bounce back after a tough Fresno State match last weekend. I'm very proud of our team."
For all of the latest Aggie women's tennis news, click NMStateSports.com.
1. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 6-1, 6-3
2. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) 6-1, 6-7, 6-4
4. Natalia Salum (NMSU) def. Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 6-0, 6-1
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 7-6, 7-6
6. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Calvillo/Trierweiler (UTEP) def. Jodie Williams/Salum (NMSU) 8-2
2. Sylvain/Witte (NMSU) def. Vazquez/LeBlond (UTEP) 9-8
3. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU) def. Abdrakhmanova/Sylenko (UTEP) 8-4