Boise, Idaho—The New Mexico State University women’s tennis team fell to the No. 1 seed Boise State 4-0 in the semifinals of the Western Athletic Conference tournament on Friday, April 29, in Boise, Idaho.
The Aggies faced Boise State in the semifinals after a 4-2 victory over Idaho on Thursday. The NM State victory over Idaho was the first time the Aggies advanced to the semifinals of the WAC tournament since joining the conference.
NM State fought hard in the doubles point, but could not pull off a victory. Junior Manon Sylvain and sophomore Jodie Williams lost to Lauren Megale and Marlena Pietzuch 8-4 in the No. 1 match and senior Isabela Kulaif and sophomore Ginet Pinero lost to Elyse Edwards and Sonia Klamczynska 8-2 in the No. 2 match. The No. 3 match between junior Natalia Salum and freshman Ros-Polly Nguyen and Broncos Setphanie Jasper and Sandy Vo was declared unfinished due to the previous two victories.
Despite the win, Boise State still had to earn the singles victories from a determined NM State lineup.
Sylvain was defeated by Sonia Klamczynska 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 2 match, Salum fell to Edwards 6-4, 6-4, in the No. 4 match and freshman Annemieke Witte fell to Pietzuch 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 5 match.
The singles matches of Kulaif, Pinero and Nguyen were declared unfinished once Boise State won the match.
NM State-0, Boise State-4
1. Isabela Kulaif (NMSU) vs. Lauren Megale (BSU) 2-6, 1-4, unfinished
2. Sonia Klamczynska (BSU) def. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) vs. Stephanie Jasper (BSU) 5-7, 3-3, unfinished
4. Elyse Edwards (BSU) def. Natalia Salum (NMSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) def. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) vs. Morgan Basil (BSU) 5-7, 0-4, unfinished
1. Lauren Megale/Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) def. Manon Sylvain/Jodie Williams (NMSU) 8-4
2. Elyse Edwards/Sonia Klamczynska (BSU) def. Isabela Kulaif/Ginet Pinero (NMSU) 8-2
3. Natalia Salum/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) vs. Stephanie Jasper/Sandy Vo (BSU) 5-7, unfinished