Boise, Idaho-The New Mexico State Women's tennis team knocked off Idaho in the first round of the Western Athletic Conference tournament on Thursday, April 28, in Boise, Idaho, winning 4-3.
This is the first time advancing in the conference tournament since NM State joined the WAC in 2006. With the win, NM State advances to the semifinals to face the No. 1 seed Boise State. Boise State defeated San Jose State 4-0 in the quarterfinals.
NM State avenged itself for a loss it suffered to Idaho earlier in the season. Idaho defeated NM State 5-2 on April 9, in Reno, Nev.
NM State fell short in the crucial doubles point, winning just one match. Senior Isabela Kulaif and sophomore Ginet Pinero defeated Yvette Ly and Molly Knox 8-3 in the No. 2 match for the lone Aggie victory.
NM State came back strong in singles to take the lead and eventually clinch the victory. Kulaif led off the NM State lineup by defeating Victoria Lozano 6-3, 6-4, in the No. 1 match. Junior Manon Sylvain defeated Lauren Simpson with a convincing 6-0, 6-3, victory in the No. 2 match. Pinero fought back from dropping the first set to defeated Silvia Irimescu 2-6, 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 3 match. Freshman Ros-Polly Nguyen rounded out the NM State lineup by defeating Ly 7-6, 6-3, in the No. 6 match. The No. 5 match between Aggie freshman Annemieke Witte and Ly was declared unfinished once NM State clinched the victory.
NM State will continue the WAC tournament in Boise, Idaho, on Friday, April 29, against No. 1 seed Boise State at 3:00 p.m. (MT).
Tennis Match Results
NM State (5) vs. Idaho (4)
April 28, 2011, at Boise, Idaho
WAC Tournament 1st Round
NM State-4, Idaho-2
1. Isabela Kulaif (NMSU) def. Victoria Lozano (UI) 6-3, 6-4
2. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) def. Lauren Simpson (UI) 6-0, 6-3
3. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Silvia Irimescu (UI) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Barbara Maciocha (UI) def. Natalia Salum (NMSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Molly Knox (UI) vs. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 7-6, (7-5), unfinished
6. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Yvette Ly (UI) 7-6, 6-3
1. Victoria Lozano/Lauren Simpson (UI) def. Manon Sylvain/Jodie Williams (NMSU) 9-7
2. Isabela Kulaif/Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Yvette Ly/Molly Knox (UI) 8-3
3. Barbara Maciocha/Natalie Kirch (UI) def. Natalia Salum/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 8-4