Las Cruces, N.M.-The New Mexico State University women's tennis team swept Western New Mexico University in dominating fashion on Tuesday, April 19, as the team approaches the final match of the regular season.
The Aggies are now 11-7 overall on the season. A win against Western Athletic Conference opponent Hawai'i this Friday would surpass last season's total win mark.
NM State held WNMU to winning just one game between all three doubles matches on the day. Junior Manon Sylvain and sophomore Jodie Williams defeated Emily Lampman and Nikolina Vukadin 8-1 in the No. 1 match and junior Natalia Salum and freshman Annemieke Witte defeated Davia Aragon and Dena Irvin 8-0 in the No. 2 match. The No. 3 match was ruled a victory in favor of NM State by default since WNMU was short on players.
Singles play by the Aggies was just as dominant as doubles, with only one set by the entire NM State squad reaching a 6-2 mark.
Sylvain led off the lineup with a strong performance, defeating Vukadin 6-0, 6-1, in the No. 1 match. Sophomore Ginet Pinero followed up in the No. 2 match with a 6-0, 6-1, victory over Doris Berberic.
Salum defeated Lampman 6-2, 6-1, in the No. 3 match for in comparison the most closely-fought match of the day.
Witte put on the most dominating performance of the day by completely sweeping Dena Irvin 6-0, 6-0, in the No. 4 match. Fellow freshman Ros-Polly Nguyen defeated Aragon 6-0, 6-1, in the No. 5 match. Williams, penciled in at the No. 6 spot, won by default due to the lack of WNMU players.
The match caps off the last form of competitive preparation NM State has before it takes on Hawai'i on Friday. The match against Hawai'i will also be Senior Day for senior Isabela Kulaif, who has been with the Aggies since 2008.
NM State will take on Hawai'i on Friday, April 22, at 1:00 p.m. (MT).
NM State-7, WNMU-0
1. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) def. Nikolina Vukadin (WNMU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Doris Berberic (WNMU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Natalia Salum (NMSU) def. Emily Lampman (WNMU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Dena Irvin (WNMU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Davida Aragon (WNMU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jodie Williams (NMSU) won by default
1. Manon Sylvain/Jodie Williams (NMSU) def. Emily Lampman/Nikolina Vukadin (WNMU) 8-1
2. Annemieke Witte/Natalia Salum (NMSU) def. Davida Aragon/Dena Irvin (WNMU) 8-0
3. Ginet Pinero/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) won by default