Las Cruces, N.M.-The New Mexico State women's tennis team defeated Louisiana Tech in dominating fashion on Saturday, April 16, for a momentous victory as the Aggies approach the conference tournament.
NM State improved to 10-7 overall and 2-3 in the Western Athletic Conference with Hawai'i remaining as the only conference opponent left of the schedule (April 22)
The Aggies started off the day strong and doubles and let the momentum carry through singles.
Sophomore Ginet Pinero and freshman Annemieke Witte defeated Maartje de Wit and Vivian ten Dolle 8-4 in the No. 2 match and junior Natalia Salum and freshman Ros-Polly Nguyen defeated Alean Erofeyeva and Melanie Urvoy 8-6 in the No. 3 match.
"We came out fighting hard in doubles at No. 2 and 3," said head tennis coach Ivan Fernandez. "We had a chance at No. 1 but could not take advantage of it."
Senior Isabela Kulaif produced a good performance and notched a win in her third-to-last singles match as an Aggie. Kulaif defeated Elne Bernard 6-4, 6-2, in the No. 1 match.
"With her time as an Aggie winding down, it was good to see Kulaif win at the No. 1 spot today," Fernandez said.
Salum was the first one off the court, wrapping up a dominating 6-0, 6-1, victory over de Wit in the No. 4 match. Pinero followed closely behind, earning a quick 6-2, 6-1, victory over Urvoy in the No. 3 match.
The freshman pair of Witte and Nguyen continues to influence the Aggies' success with good singles play. Witte defeated Anna Zurek 7-6, 6-2, in the No. 5 match and Nguyen defeated Erofeyeva 6-7, 7-5, 10-3, to conclude the win for NM State.
"We went out with a lot of intensity today," Fernandez said.
Fernandez said he feels confident about where the team stands heading into the final two matches of the regular season.
"I feel good about the team because we are playing smartly," Fernandez said. "If we can keep this momentum up, we should have strong finish."
NM State will take on Western New Mexico on Tuesday, April 19, at 1:00 p.m. (MT) at the NM State Tennis Center. NM State will conclude the regular season next Friday, April 22, when the team faces Hawai'i in Las Cruces.
NM State-6, Louisiana Tech-1
1. Isabela Kulaif (NMSU) def. Elne Barnard (LA Tech) 6-4, 6-2
2. Vivian ten Dolle (LA Tech) def. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
3. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Melanie Urvoy (LA Tech) 6-2, 6-1
4. Natalia Salum (NMSU) def. Maartje de Wit (LA Tech) 6-0, 6-1
5. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Anna Zurek (LA Tech) 7-6, 6-2
6. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Alena Erofeyeva (LA Tech) 6-7, 7-5, 10-3
1. Elne Barnard/Anna Zurek (LA Tech) def. Manon Sylvain/Jodie Williams (NMSU) 8-6
2. Ginet Pinero/Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Maartje de Wit/Vivian ten Dolle (LA Tech) 8-4
3. Natalia Salum/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Alena Erofeyeva/Melanie Urvoy (LA Tech) 8-6