Reno, Nev.-The New Mexico State University women's tennis team battle injuries and the elements in Reno, Nev., but fell short to the University of Nevada 5-2 on Friday, April 8, and lost 5-2 to No. 57 Boise State University on Saturday, April 9.
The Aggies were playing in conditions far tougher than the enjoyable confines of Las Cruces. The average temperature in Reno over the weekend was 32 degrees. The match against Nevada was stopped twice due to snow.
The match against Nevada ended up being a heartbreaker for NM State that could have easily swung to a 4-3 victory. Junior Natalia Salum fought to a third set but lost Aodhnait Lombard 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 in the No. 4 match. Freshman Ros-Polly Nguyen also played a tough 3-set match, falling to Gabriela Eufrasio 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 in the No. 6 match. Each of these matches could have swung in the direction of NM State in the final set to give two extra match points to the Aggies.
"Both of these matches could have gone our way," said head tennis coach Ivan Fernandez. "I am very proud of how the girls played today."
The Aggies still earned two singles victories from junior Manon Sylvain and freshman Annemieke Witte. Sylvain defeated Lais Ogata 7-6, 6-2, in the No. 2 match and Witte defeated Sophie Stevens 6-2, 7-5, in the No. 5 match.
Despite losing tough matches in singles, Salum and Nguyen teamed up in doubles and defeated Stevens and Lombard 8-6 in the No. 3 match.
NM State put up just as hard of a fight against Boise State in its 5-2 loss. Injuries plagued the Aggie lineup in this match. Salum was scratched from the lineup due to a hard fall she took in her match from the previous day. Senior Isabela Kulaif was forced to retire from her singles match in the No. 1 spot due to an injury.
Sylvain won her second singles match of the weekend by defeating Sonia Klamczyuska 7-5, 6-3, in the No. 2 match. Sophomore Ginet Pinero also earned a singles victory by defeating Stephanie Jasper 6-2, 3-6, 10-8, in the No. 3 match.
NM State is now 9-7 overall and 1-4 in the WAC. The Aggies will return to Las Cruces to face conference opponent Louisiana Tech on Saturday, April 16, at 11:00 a.m. (MT).
New Mexico State vs Nevada
April 8, 2011 at Reno, Nev.
NM State-2, Nevada-5
1. Michelle Okhrenchuck (UN) def. Isabela Kulaif (NMSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) def. Lais Ogata (UN) 7-6, 6-2
3. Emma Verberne (UN) def. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Aodhnait Lombard (UN) def. Natalia Salum (NMSU) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6
5. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Sophie Stevens (UN) 6-2, 7-5
6. Gabriela Eufrasio (UN) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6
1. Florence De Vry/Michelle Okhrenchuck (UN) def. Isabela Kulaif/Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 8-6
2. Emma Verberne/Lais Ogata (UN) def. Manon Sylvain/Jodie Williams (NMSU) 8-6
3. Natalia Salum/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Sophie Stevens/Aodhnait Lombard (UN) 8-6
New Mexico State vs No. 57 Boise State
April 9, 2011 at Reno, Nev.
NM State-2, Boise State-5
1. Lauren Megale (BSU) def. Isabela Kulaif (NMSU) 6-3, 2-1 (ret. Inj.)
2. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) def. Sonia Klamczyuska (BSU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Stephanie Jasper (BSU) 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
4. Elyse Edwards (BSU) def. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Morgan Basil (BSU) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 6-1, 6-4
1. Lauren Megale/Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) def. Isabela Kulaif/Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 8-4
2. Elyse Edwards/Sonia Klamczyuska (BSU) def. Jodie Williams/Manon Sylvain (NMSU) 8-6
3. Stephanie Jasper/Sandy Vo (BSU) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen/Ginet Pinero (NMSU) 8-6