Logan, Utah-The New Mexico State University women's tennis team handily defeated Utah State University 5-2 and Weber State 5-2 over the weekend to improve to 9-5 on the season.
NM State started off on Saturday, April 2, by defeating Utah State 5-2, to move to 1-1 in the WAC. The Aggies relied on strong performances from the bottom of the lineup to secure the victory.
"It was good to come out fighting today and to get a good conference win," said head tennis coach Ivan Fernandez.
NM State started off strong by winning two of the three doubles matches to clinch the doubles point. Senior Isabela Kulaif and freshman Annemieke Witte defeated Hailey Swenson and Brianna Harris 9-8 in the No. 1 match and junior Natalia Salum and freshman Ros-Polly Nguyen defeated Julie Tukuafu and Taylor Perry 9-7 in the No. 3 match.
The Aggies carried the momentum from doubles into singles, winning matches No. 3-6. Salum won her seventh straight singles match when she defeated Tukuafu 6-4, 6-1, in the no. 4 match. Williams put on one of the most dominating performances of the day when she defeated Perry 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 6 match.
Sophomore Ginet Pinero fought a tough 3-set match against Kristina Voytsekhovich in the No. 3 match, winning 6-3, 3-6, 6-2. Witte also played a 3-set match, defeating Harris 6-4, 5-7, 11-9.
NM State was able to use carry over the success from the match against Utah State to defeat Weber State 5-2 on Sunday, April 3.
The Aggies took control early by winning all three doubles matches. Kulaif and Witte defeated Naseem Eslami and Brittany Moore 8-7 in the No. 1 match. Williams and junior Manon Sylvain defeated Michelle Warwick and Annika Karlsen 8-4 in the No. 2 match, and Salum and Nguyen defeated Kristi Russell and Nittaya Phonharath 8-4 in the No. 3 match.
Just as against Utah State, NM State relied on the bottom of the lineup for the singles victories. All four NM State singles victories finished in two sets.
Salum moved up to the No. 3 match to defeat Karlsen 6-1, 6-2 for her eight straight singles victory.
"Salum has been playing extremely well lately and has been fighting very had," Fernandez said.
Witte defeated Warwick 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 4 match for yet another dominating performance by the Aggie freshman. Williams defeated Russell 7-5, 7-5, in the No. 5 match for a tough-earned victory. Nguyen finished off the lineup with a 6-1, 6-4, victory over Phonharath in the No. 6 match.
"Adjusting to the high altitude and playing indoors always takes some time," Fernandez said. "I am very happy to come out of here with two wins."
Saturday, April 2, 2001
NM State-5, Utah State-2
1. Kulaif/Witte (NMSU) def. Harris/Swenson (USU) 9-8
2. West/Voytsekhovich (USU) def. Williams/Sylvain (NMSU) 8-4
3. Salum/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Perry/Tukuafu (USU) 9-7
1. Jaclyn West (USU) def. Isabela Kulaif (NMSU)
2. Hailey Swenson (USU) def. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Kristina Voytsekhovich (USU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
4. Natalia Salum (NMSU) def. Julie Tukuafu (USU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Brianna Harris (USU) 6-4, 5-7, 11-9
6. Jodie Williams (NMSU) def. Taylor Perry (USU) 6-2, 6-2
Sunday, April 3, 2011
NM State-5, Weber State-2
1. Kulaif/Witte (NMSU) def. Eslami/Moore (Weber) 8-7.
2. SylvainWilliams (NMSU) def. Karlsen/Warwick (Weber) 8-4.
3. Salum/Nguyen (NMSU) def. Russell/Phonharath (Weber ) 8-4.
2. Brittany Moore (Weber ) def. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) 6-2, 0-6, 10-6.
3. Natalia Salum (NMSU) def. Annika Karlsen (Weber) 6-1,6-2.
4. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Michelle Warwick (Weber) 6-1,6-1.
5. Jodie Williams (NMSU) def. Kristi Russell (Weber) 7-5,7-5.
6. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Nittaya Phonharath (Weber) 6-1,6-4.