Los Angeles, Calif.-The women's tennis team of New Mexico State University defeated Loyola Marymount University in a close-contested 4-3 win on Friday, March 25, to conclude a week-long road trip to California.
The match against LMU was only the second match NM State played all week. The match against LMU should have been the third match of the week, but rain altered the Aggies' schedule. The match against Cal State-Fullerton was moved from Monday to Tuesday, and the match against Cal State-Northridge on Wednesday was cancelled due to rain.
Head tennis coach Ivan Fernandez said the match against LMU was a good turnaround from the match on Tuesday against Cal State-Fullerton (NM State lost 4-3).
"We played like I know we can," Fernandez said. "They fought all the way to the end and did a great job."
The day started off tough for the Aggies who dropped all three doubles matches. The Aggies were able to mount a good comeback during singles play, winning the necessary four matches to clinch the meet.
Junior Manon Sylvain clinched a victory over Melissa Valenzuela in the No. 2 match, winning 6-4, 6-0.
A pair of freshman continued to show success by each earning singles victories for the Aggies. Ros-Polly Nguyen was able to come from behind to defeat Reka Rohonyi 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, in the No. 4 match. Annemieke Witte defeated Shauna Morgan 6-0, 6-2, for the most dominating performance of the day.
Sophomore Ginet Pinero followed up in the No. 3 match by defeating Miya Jin 4-6, 6-4, 6-6, (7-2). Pinero's match fell to a tie breaker, and her victory was the deciding victory to give NM State the win over LMU.
The win snaps a 3-match losing streak by NM State. Win the win the Aggies are now 7-4 heading back to Las Cruces. NM State is now 4-2 in matches decided by one point this season.
The Aggies will next be in action on Wednesday, March 30, when they return to Las Cruces to face UTEP.
NM State-4, LMU-3
1. April Bisharat (LMU) def. Isabela Kulaif (NMSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
2. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) def. Melissa Valenzuela (LMU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-6 (7-2)
4. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 6-7, 6-4, 6-4
5. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Shauna Morgan (LMU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Elisavesta Pironkova (LMU) def. Natalia Salum (NMSU) 6-3, 6-3
1. April Bisharat/Melissa Valenzuela (LMU) def. Isabela Kulaif/Ginet Pinero (NMSU) 8-6
2. Ashley Anderson/Miya Jin (LMU) def. Manon Sylvain/Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 8-2
3. Reka Rohonyi/Elisavesta Pironkova (LMU) def. Natalia Salum/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 9-8