Las Cruces, N.M.-The women's tennis team of New Mexico State University lost a close 4-3 match to Idaho on Monday, March 14, in Las Cruces to open conference play.
The Aggies started off strong by winning two of the three doubles matches. Senior Isabela Kulaif and freshman Annemieke Witte defeated Yvette Ly and Molly Knox 8-5 in the No. 2 doubles match and sophomore Ginet Pinero and freshman Ros-Polly Nguyen defeated Barbara Maciocha and Natalie Kirch 8-4.
Idaho was able to come back and win four of the six singles matches to win the match. Witte and sophomore Jodie Williams were able to rack up singles wins for the Aggies.
Witte defeated Silvia Irimescu 6-2, 6-4, in the No. 3 match and Williams was able to defeat Knox 5-7, 7-6, 10-8, in the No. 5 match while battling an ankle injury.
"We had a lineup that was not supposed to play today due to health issues," said head tennis coach Ivan Fernandez.
Pinero and Williams each played while dealing with ankle injuries. Junior Natalia Salum did not play due an overnight illness.
"We should be able to win a lot more of these matches with our full lineup," Fernandez said.
NM State will travel to California next week for a 3-match road trip, starting with Cal State Fullerton in Fullerton, Calif., on Monday, March 21.
1. Vicky Lozano (Idaho) def. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Lauren Simpson (Idaho) def. Isabela Kulaif (NMSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Silvia Irimescu (Idaho) 6-2, 6-0
4. Barbara Maciocha (Idaho) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jodie Williams (NMSU) def. Molly Knox (Idaho) 5-7, 7-6, 10-8
6. Yvette Ly (Idaho) def. Isabelle Rocher (NMSU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Lozano/Simpson (Idaho) def. Sylvain/Williams (NMSU) 8-5
2. Kulaif/Witte (NMSU) def. Knox/Ly (Idaho) 8-5
3. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU) def. Kirch/Maciocha (Idaho) 8-4