Las Cruces, N.M.-The women's tennis team of New Mexico State University concluded a 3-match home stand on Sunday, Feb. 20, by going 2-1,which included a record 6-match winning streak.
NM State defeated its first two opponents of the weekend by a score of 7-0 in each match (Northern Colorado on Friday and the University of Seattle on Saturday) before falling to Northern Arizona University 7-0 on Sunday.
The win against Seattle on Saturday marked a record 6-match winning streak for NM State. The streak also contributed to a 6-2 start, one of the best starts the Aggies have made in years.
"All of the matches against NAU were super close," said head tennis coach Ivan Fernandez. "Each match could have gone either way."
Of the six singles matches, three reached three sets. An injury to sophomore Jodie Williams in the No. 5 match gave a potential NM State point to NAU.
"Jodie's injury put a lot of pressure on the team," Fernandez said.
NM State has a couple weeks off to prepare for the first conference match of the season when it takes on Idaho on Monday, March 14, in Las Cruces.
NM State 0, NAU 7
1. Edit Suhajda (NAU) def. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Orsi Golovics (NAU) def. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Yumi Hasegawa (NAU) def. Isabela Kulaif (NMSU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
4. Malia Wahinepio (NAU) def. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 4-6, 6-4, 13-11
5. Aimee Oki (NAU) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU) 6-2, 1-2 (ret. Inj.)
6. Nicole Perez (NAU) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 0-6, 6-3, 6-4
1. Edit Suhajda/Orsi Golovics (NAU) def. Isabela Kulaif/Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 8-4
2. Yumi Hasegawa/Malia Wahinepio (NAU) def. Manon Sylvain/Jodie Williams (NMSU) 8-4
3. Aimee Oki/Nicole Perez (NAU) def. Natalia Salum/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 8-4