Las Cruces, N.M.-The women's tennis team of New Mexico State University defeated the University of Seattle 7-0 on Saturday, Feb. 19, winning its 6th straight match to start the season 6-1
NM State has not had a 6-match winning streak since 2001-02 when the Aggies won 13 straight matches under former head tennis coach Don Ball. The streak stretched from Feb.3-March 26.
Senior Isabela Kulaif returned to the lineup, playing in singles and doubles for the first time since she fell to an injury four matches ago.
Kulaif and sophomore Ginet Pinero defeated Steffanie Mortera and Katrina Schwab 8-3 in the No. 1 match, junior Manon Sylvain and sophomore Jodie Williams defeated Ariel Ohno and Gabriella Weissman 8-0, and junior Natalia Salum and freshman Ros-Polly Nguyen defeated Anna Lambert Corrine Wurden 9-8.
Sylvain kept her spot at the top of the lineup, defeating Schwab 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 1 match. Kulaif played in the No. 2 match, defeating Ohno 7-6, 7-1.
Freshman Annemieke Witte defeated Mortera 6-1, 6-4, in the No. 3 match, followed by a victory by Salum over Weissman 6-0, 6-4.
Williams defeated Sarah Lucas 6-0, 6-2, in the most dominating Aggie performance of the day in the No. 5 match. Nguyen finished up the lineup by defeating Lambert 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 6 match.
The Aggies conclude the weekend when they take on Northern Arizona University tomorrow.
NM State 7, Seattle 0
1. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) def. Katrina Schwab (Seattle) 6-1, 6-2
2. Isabela Kulaif (NMSU) def. Ariel Ohno (Seattle) 7-6, 6-1
3. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Steffanie Mortera (Seattle) 6-1, 6-4
4. Natalia Salum (NMSU) def. Gabriella Weissman (Seattle) 6-0, 6-4
5. Jodie Williams (NMSU) def. Sarah Lucas (Seattle) 6-0, 6-2
6. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Anna Lambert (Seattle) 6-2, 6-2
1. Isabela Kulaif/Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Steffanie Mortera/Katrina Schwab (Seattle) 8-3
2. Manon Sylvain/Jodie Williams (NMSU) def. Ariel Ohno/Gabriella Weissman (Seattle) 8-0
3. Natalia Salum/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Anna Lambert/Corrine Wurden (Seattle) 9-8