NORTHRIDGE, Calif. – The New Mexico State women’s tennis team lost 4-2 to Cal State Northridge on Tuesday afternoon at the Matador Tennis Complex. The Aggies fall to 5-10 during spring dual-match play.
Sophomore Ashvarya Shrivastava made it nine wins in a row in singles play after defeating Matador Kristen Poei in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 4 position. Senior Annemieke Witte also won in straight sets after handling Scout Shutter at the six spot, 6-2, 6-2.
Unfortunately for NM State, those were the only two wins of the day for the squad, as all three doubles’ matches went to the Matadors, as did the other three singles’ matches that were completed.
The Aggies fall to 2-8 away from the NM State Tennis Center.
NM State has little time to ponder the loss as it will try to improve on its road record on Wednesday, March 26, with a matchup in Irvine, Calif., versus UC Irvine beginning at 3 p.m. (MDT).
CSUN 4 New Mexico State 2
1. Lin/Rodriguez (CSUN) def. Joyce/Jolliff (NMSU): 8-2
2. Hsu/Poei (CSUN) def. Van Der Ben/Nguyen (NMSU): 8-1
3. Cheung/Shutter (CSUN) def. Witte/Shrivastava (NMSU): 8-6
1. Lin (CSUN) def. Thiffault (NMSU): 6-1, 6-1
2. Hsu (CSUN) def. Jolliff (NMSU): 6-3. 6-2
3. Rodriguez (CSUN) vs. Nguyen (NMSU): DNF
4. Shrivastava (NMSU) def. Poei (CSUN): 6-2, 6-3
5. Cheung (CSUN) def. Van Der Ben (NMSU): 6-3, 6-4
6. Witte (NMSU) def. Shutter (CSUN): 6-2, 6-2