HOUSTON, Texas—The New Mexico State women’s tennis team dropped a close 4-3 match to Texas A&M Corpus Christi on Sunday, March 2, in Houston, Texas. The Aggies picked up the doubles point, but won just two singles matches, moving the team to a 4-8 record.
Sophomore Chloe Jolliff and junior Susana Alcaraz earned an 8-6 win at the No. 1 doubles court and senior Annemieke Witte and sophomore Ashvarya Shrivasava went to a tiebreaker to win at the third court 8-7 (7-5).
In singles play, Alcaraz won 7-6 (7-4), 6-2 at the No. 1 spot, while the other Aggie win came from the fifth position when freshman Brittany Collens battled to a three-set win 0-6, 6-4, 6-2. The Aggies fell at the four other courts, but now without Witte taking her No. 4 match to three sets before the loss.
NM State now takes time off before hosting in-state rival New Mexico on March 21 at the NM State Tennis Center. The match is set for 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi vs New Mexico State
3/2/2014 at Houston, Texas
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 4, New Mexico State 3
1. Alcaraz,Susana (NMSU) def. Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
2. Maider Martin (AMCC) def. Ben,Denise Van Der (NMSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Celia Rodriguez (AMCC) def. Jolliff,Chloe (NMSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Sandra Burges (AMCC) def. Witte,Annemieke (NMSU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Collens,Brittany (NMSU) def. Kerry Galhos (AMCC) 0-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Judit Vives (AMCC) def. Brandt,Mia (NMSU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Alcaraz,Susana/Jolliff,Chloe (NMSU) def. Stefania Nicolae/Kerry Galhos (AMCC) 8-6
2. Sandra Burges/Judit Vives (AMCC) def. Ben,Denise Van Der/Collens,Brittany (NMSU) 8-2
3. Witte,Annemieke/Shrivastava,Ashvarya (NMSU) def. Maider Martin/Celia Rodriguez (AMCC) 8-7 (7-5)
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 6-2
New Mexico State 4-8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,3,2,1,5,4)