LAS VEGAS, Nev. – The New Mexico State women’s tennis team easily handled UC Riverside, 6-1, on Saturday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex to pick up its first win of the spring schedule.
The Aggies won all three doubles matches and five out of the six singles matches to move to 1-3 in dual-match play, while the Highlanders remain winless at 0-5.
NM State started the day by sweeping all three doubles matches. Juniors Susana Alcaraz and Denise Van Der Ben won 6-3 at the No. 1 spot. The senior-freshman duo of Ros –Polly Nguyen and Brittany Collens easily won 6-1, as did the Aggie pair of senior Annemieke Witte and sophomore Ashvarya Shrivastava.
In singles play, all five NM State wins came in straight sets. Alcaraz beat Courtney Pattugalan 6-1, 6-3 at the two spot, Shrivastava defeated Kate Bergeson at the No. 3 spot 6-0, 6-0, Witte won 6-2, 6-0, sophomore Mia Brandt won 6-1, 6-1 and Collens defeated VJ Ganesan 6-1, 6-2.
“We got off to another strong start today winning all three doubles,” Aggie head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “We took control of the singles immediately winning five of the six singles. Ash Shrivastava won her third singles match in a row.”
NM State almost made it a clean sweep for the day as Nguyen, playing at the No. 1 spot for the first time in her Aggie career, lost a tough three-set match for the second-consecutive day. Nguyen won the first set, 7-5, lost set two by the same score and battled throughout the deciding set before falling 10-8.
“Nguyen had an extremely close match her first time playing No. 1,” Fernandez said. “She has the game to succeed at that position and I know she will win many matches there for us this spring.”
The Aggies will conclude their stay in Las Vegas with a matchup against Pacific on Sunday, Feb. 9, at 11 a.m. (MT). The Tigers have split their first two matches in Las Vegas and sit at 1-2 in dual matches. Saturday saw Pacific lose a close matchup versus 58th-ranked UNLV, 4-3.
“We are gathering momentum and getting stronger with every match we play,” Fernadez said.
1. Jasmine Almaguer (UCR) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Susana Alcaraz (NMSU) def. Courtney Pattugalan (UCR) 6-1, 6-3
3. Ashvarya Shrivastava (NMSU) def. Kate Bergeson (UCR) 6-0, 6-0
4. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Tiffany Jue (UCR) 6-2, 6-0
5. Mia Brandt (NMSU) def. Sophie El-Kara (UCR) 6-1, 6-1
6. Brittany Collens (NMSU) def. VJ Ganesan (UCR) 6-1, 6-2
1. Susana Alcaraz/Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Jasmine Almaguer/Courtney Pattugalan (UCR) 6-3
2. Ros-Polly Nguyen/Brittany Collens (NMSU) def. Tiffany Jue/Sophie El-Kara (UCR) 6-1
3. Annemieke Witte/Ashvarya Shrivastava (NMSU) def. Kate Bergeson/Thanh Doan (UCR) 6-1