SAN JOSE, CALIF. (March 22) – The New Mexico State women’s tennis team fell in a 4-3 decision to the Texas State Bobcats on Friday, March 22, in San Jose, Calif. The Aggies drop their second straight conference dual and move to 4-9 on the season and 0-2 in Western Athletic Conference play.
NM State was quick to pull the doubles point from Texas State with victories at the first and second court. Ginet Pinero and Ros-Polly Nguyen teamed up for a hard-fought 9-8 win at court one. At the second position, Annemieke Witte and Denise Van Der Ben worked for a 9-7 victory over the pair of Bobcats.
NM State only fell in the third position, but it was not without a battle. Texas State was able to overcome the Aggie duo in a 9-8 decision, but it was not enough to keep the Aggies from the pivotal point in the dual.
In single play, NM State picked up wins at the second and fifth courts. Pinero earned her first conference win with a straight set (6-2, 6-2) victory over Melissa Hadad.
Nguyen earned her first WAC win, but ninth of the season with a three-game battle at the fifth singles court. Falling in the first game 2-6, Nguyen came back to win the next two games 6-2 and 6-3 for the point.
NM State worked through three sets at the fourth court, but was unable to hold off the Bobcats and eventually fell 4-3.
NM State continues on the road in San Jose, Calif., as the team meets Louisiana Tech on Saturday, March 23. The match is set for 10 a.m.
New Mexico State vs. Texas State
Spartan Tennis Complex, San Jose, Calif.
March 22, 2013
Texas State 4, New Mexico State 3
- Ginet Pinero/ Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Jessica Kahts/ Melissa Hadad (Texas St.), 9-8.
- Annemieke Witte/ Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Monica Pieratt/ Bérénice Van den Bergh (Texas St.), 9-7.
- Mariana Perez/Rachel Baldree( Texas St.) def. Jodie Williams/ Mia Brandt (NMSU), 9-8.
- Jessica Kahts (Texas St.) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU), 6-2, 6-2.
- Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Melissa Hadad (Texas St.), 6-4, 6-3.
- Monica Pieratt (Texas St.) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU), 6-4, 6-2.
- Rachel Baldree (Texas St.) def. Annemieke Witte (NMSU), 6-3, 3-6,6-4.
- Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Mariana Perez (Texas St.), 2-6, 6-2, 6-3.
- Bérénice Van den Bergh (Texas St.) def. Mia Brandt (NMSU), 6-2, 6-4.