The Aggies (3-3) started the match off by winning the doubles point after victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 spots to put NM State up 1-0 over No. 74 FIU (1-6).
Aggie senior co-captain Natalia Salum remained undefeated in singles at 6-0 this season after a 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles to give the Aggies a 2-0 lead. FIU earned a point at No. 2 singles but the Crimson and White responded.
At No. 3 singles junior Ginet Pinero posted a 6-3, 6-3 win to move the score to 3-1, NM State. Sophomore Annemieke Witte claimed the match team point at No. 6 singles with a straight-sets 6-2, 6-4 victory.
"We defeated a really good ranked FIU team," said head coach Ivan Fernandez. "Our energy, focus, and desire are what won us this match. I'm very proud of how this team fought. I hope they know that they can compete with top teams as long they play with this much heart."
Senior co-captain Manon Sylvain was also a game away at 6-4, 5-4 from closing out her opponent at No. 1 singles before the match was called. At No. 5 singles, sophomore Ros-Polly Nguyen split sets heading into the third but did not finish.
The Aggies' scheduled match against No. 42 Texas Tech on Saturday was canceled due to inclement weather. NM State remains on the road for a pair of matches next weekend at Northern Colorado and Colorado State.
For the latest Aggie women's tennis news click NMStateSports.com.
New Mexico State vs. No. 74 Florida International
Feb. 10, 2012 at Lubbock, Texas
(McLeod Tennis Center)
New Mexico State 4, No. 74 Florida International 1
1. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) vs. Sarah McLean (FIU) 6-4, 5-4 DNF
2. Rita Maisak (FIU) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Lisa Johnson (FIU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Natalia Salum (NMSU) def. Giulietta Boha (FIU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) vs. Karyn Guttormsen (FIU) DNF
6. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Nina Djordjevic (FIU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 3, 6
1. Salum/Williams (NMSU) vs. Maisak/McLean, 6-6, DNF
2. Sylvain/Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Guttormsen/Boha, 8-4
3. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU) def. Johnson/Holt, 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3