LAS VEGAS, NEV. – The New Mexico State men’s tennis team wrapped up a four-match weekend with a 5-0 win over Weber State on Sunday, Feb. 2 in Las Vegas, Nev. NM State improves to 4-2 this season after winning three of four on the road this weekend.
NM State won its second doubles point of the season as junior Marc Westgate and sophomore Liam Goldberg finished with a 6-4 win at court No. 1. The Aggie duo fell at court two, but sophomores Strahinja Trecakov and Naveen Manivannan fought to a 6-3 win at the third court, giving NM State the advantage going into singles play.
“It was a great effort in our fourth match in three days,” head coach Carlos Vargas said. “I saw a lot of improvements from the whole group. It was a positive weekend and a good momentum builder for the rest of the season.”
Similar to Saturday afternoon’s match, the Aggies won on the middle four courts to claim the win over the Wildcats. Redshirt sophomore Paul Denele claimed a two-set win (6-2, 6-3) over Oliver Good at court two, taking over for Westgate, who missed out on singles play. Goldberg finished the weekend 4-0 with a 6-0, 6-1 win at the No. 3 spot.
NM State rounded out the win with wins from juniors Germain Degardin and Patrick Pfister at the fourth and fifth courts, respectively. Both matches were also won in straight sets.
The Aggies now get back to Las Cruces to open conference matches with Western Athletic Conference foe Kansas City on Feb. 14, Northern Arizona on Saturday, Feb. 15 and end the weekend against Idaho on Sunday, Feb. 16.
New Mexico State 5, Weber State 0
February 2, 2014 at Las Vegas, NV
(Fertitta Tennis Complex)
1. Westgate/Goldberg (NMSU) def. Fought/Good (WSU) 6-4
2. Barlow/Poitena (WSU) def. Denele/Manivannan (NMSU) 6-2
3. Trecakov/Baron (NMSU) def. Hansel/Garner (WSU) 6-3
1. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) vs. Todd Fought (WSU) 6-3, 5-4, unfinished
2. Paul Denele (NMSU) def. Oliver Good (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Liam Goldberg (NMSU) vs. Caio Poitena (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) vs. Landon Barlow (WSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. James Smith (WSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Charles Baron (NMSU) def. Ryan Garner (WSU) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished