LAS CRUCES, N.M. – For the second-consecutive season the New Mexico State men’s tennis team kicked off its spring schedule with a matchup against Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Unlike last year, however, the Aggies could not muster up a win and fell to TAMUCC, 4-0, on Thursday afternoon at the NM State Tennis Center.
“The first match of the season is always the toughest, not only for the players, but for me as well,” said Aggie head coach Carlos Vargas. “You’ve seen some practices early in the season, but you haven’t seen any action, so that’s always tough. You just want to get it started and see where you’re at. I got a good feel of where we’re at and what we need, but I think we let go of some matches just from the lack of experience. I can’t be terribly upset because this will not make or break our season.”
The lone victory for the Aggies on the day came in the doubles match pitting the Aggie duo of sophomore Strahinja Trecakov and newcomer Charles Baron versus Islanders Javier Pujol and Pietro Jordao. Trecakov and Baron won the match, 6-3. Unfortunately for NM State, TAMUCC won the other two doubles matches to win the doubles point.
In singles play, senior Marc Westgate lost to Peter Nagy 6-5, 6-4, junior Liam Goldberg lost to Guillaume Rauseo 6-2, 6-5 and junior Germain Degardin lost to Javier Pujol 6-1, 6-4.
The Aggies continue their two-match home stand with a matchup against former Western Athletic Conference member, Utah State, on Saturday, Jan. 25. First serve is scheduled for 11 a.m. (MT) and the event is free to the public.
“We got a tough team on Saturday, Utah State is always a tough team and we got to play a lot better than we played today,” Vargas said.
Texas A&M Corpus Christi 4, NM State 0
1. Peter Nagy (TAMUCC) def. Marc Westgate (NM State) 6-5, 6-4
2. Paul Denele (NM State) vs. Ricardo Mayagoitia (TAMUCC) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 DNF
3. Guillaume Rauseo (TAMUCC) def. Liam Goldberg (NM State) 6-2, 6-5
4. Javier Pujol (TAMUCC) def. Germain Degardin (NM State) 6-1, 6-4
5. Strahinja Trecakov (NM State) vs. Matt Westmoreland (TAMUCC) 1-6, 6-3, 0-3 DNF
6. Patrick Pfister (NM State) vs. Philip Kuehnen (TAMUCC) 5-6, 2-5 DNF
1. Nagy/Rauseo (TAMUCC) def. Westgate/Denele (NM State) 6-1
2. Westmoreland/Cook (TAMUCC) def. Goldberg/Degardin (NM State) 6-5
3. Trecakov/Baron (NM State) def. Pujol/Jordao (TAMUCC) 6-3