LAS CRUCES, N.M. (April 27) - The fourth-seeded New Mexico State men's tennis team fell 4-2 in its 2012 Western Athletic Conference (WAC) quarterfinal match to fifth-seeded Nevada at the NM State Tennis Center Friday afternoon.
NM State (8-15) fell behind early after Nevada (11-10, 1-3 WAC) earned the doubles point. The Wolf Pack started off with an 8-4 win on court two. The Aggies won on court three but the Pack clinched the point shortly thereafter on court one in front a large crowd gathered in the stands.
Aggie freshman Eduardo Cabrita quickly evened the team score at 1-1 after a 6-4, 6-0 singles victory on court five. Nevada moved ahead 2-1 on the heels of a 7-5, 6-0 win on court two.
At No. 4 singles, NM State freshman Germain Degardin fought off a Wolf Pack comeback in the second set by closing out a two-set win 6-0, 7-6.
With the score even at 2-2, Nevada closed out a pair of straight-set wins on courts three and six to clinch the team victory.
Senior Matej Stakne fought back from a set down to even the match at one set apiece, but the match was suspended in the third set once the match point was decided on the outside courts.
"I thought we left it all out on the courts today," said head coach Carlos Vargas. "I knew the match today would be tough. We played a tight match in Reno earlier this month. I thought Cabrita played really well to get off the court early. Degardin also fought on the court today and picked up a good win for us."
For all of the latest Aggie men's tennis news, click NMStateSports.com.
(5) Nevada vs. (4) New Mexico State
2012 WAC Tennis Tournament
Apr 27, 2012 at Las Cruces, N.M.
(NM State Tennis Center)
Nevada 4, New Mexico State 2
1. Matej Stakne (NMSU) vs. Wessim Derbel (NEV) 0-6, 7-5, 2-5, unfinished
2. Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Moez Charqui (NEV) def. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) 7-6 (12-10), 6-1
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Fernando Sunago (NEV) 6-0, 7-6 (8-6)
5. Eduardo Cabrita (NMSU) def. Jordan Rozenfeld (NEV) 6-4, 6-0
6. Quentin Mege (NEV) def. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) 7-5, 7-5
Order of finish: Singles (5, 2, 4, 3, 6)
1. Derbel/Sunago (NEV) def. Westgate/Ramirez (NMSU) 8-5
2. Ouvrard/Rozenfeld (NEV) def. Pfister/Degardin (NMSU) 8-4
3. Stakne/Cabrita (NMSU) def. Nathan Reix/Charqui (NEV) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1)