NM State (6-14, 2-3 WAC) fell behind early after Nevada (7-10, 1-3) swept all three doubles matches.
The Aggies rebounded by winning four of six singles matches. Four of the singles contests went a full three sets to add tension to the tight match.
A pair of Aggies won in straight sets. Junior Luis Ramirez won each of his sets in extra games. Ramirez took the first 7-5 and clinched the second in a 7-6 tiebreaker. Freshman Eduardo Cabrita rolled 6-3 in set one and claimed his match 7-5 in the second.
At No. 6 singles NM State freshman Patrick Pfister dropped the first set 6-2 before recovering with a 6-3 win in the second stanza. In the deciding set Pfister kept his momentum for a 6-2 decision.
Aggie sophomore Marc Westgate also went the distance at the No. 2 slot. He took the first set 6-3 but dropped the second set 6-2 to set up a deciding set. Westgate won the final set in extra games at 7-5.
Both Aggie downfalls in singles play both went three sets. At No. 1 senior Matej Stakne fell 7-5 in the deciding set while freshman Germain Degardin dropped the third 6-2 at No. 4 singles.
"We started slow in doubles but we competed really well in singles," head coach Carlos Vargas said. "We knew the importance of this match and played with a lot of heart. This was a great win under tough conditions. The match lasted six hours and we finished under the lights."
NM State completes its final road trip of the season when it battles Portland State in the final road match of the season in Reno.
New Mexico State at Nevada
Apr 06, 2012 at Reno, Nev.
Lakeridge Tennis Club
New Mexico State 4, Nevada 3
1. Wessim Derbel (NEV) def. Matej Stakne (NMSU) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Victor Ouvrard (NEV) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
3. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Moez Echargui (NEV) 7-5, 7-6
4. Fernando Sunago (NEV) def. Germain Degardin (NMSU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
5. Eduardo Cabrita (NMSU) def. Jordan Rozenfeld (NEV) 6-3, 7-5
6. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Quentin Mege (NEV) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. Derbel/Sunago (NEV) def. Westgate/Ramirez (NMSU) 8-4
2. Ouvrard/Mege (NEV) def. Degardin/Pfister (NMSU) 8-3
3. Echargui/Nathan Reix (NEV) def. Stakne/Cabrita (NMSU) 8-5