FRESNO, Calif. (March 23) - The New Mexico State men's tennis team fell 4-3 against Hawai'i during a Western Athletic Conference (WAC) matchup Thursday.
As a result, the Aggies (4-10, 1-2 WAC) dropped their seventh straight match Thursday and suffered its second conference loss this season.
Hawai'i (3-7, 2-0) won its second conference match starting with a doubles point win. UH took matches at Nos. 1 and 3 doubles to win the first team point.
The Warriors and Aggies split the six singles matches, each winning three.
UH moved ahead 3-0 after wins at Nos. 1 and 5 singles. NM State freshman Germain Degardin grabbed the Aggies first point at No. 4 singles with a 7-5, 6-4 victory. Sophomore Marc Westgate got the Aggies to within 3-2 with his win on court two in three sets 4-6, 6-3, 6-2.
The Warriors secured the win with a victory in the No. 3 slot before Aggie freshman Patrick Pfister turned in a three-set win at No. 6 singles, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
NM State continues its road swing at Texas Tech this weekend. The Aggies face UTSA in Lubbock Saturday before battling the host Red Raiders at noon on Sunday.
For all of the latest Aggie men's tennis news, click NMStateSports.com.
Hawai'i vs. New Mexico State
Fresno, Calif. (neutral site match)
Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center
Hawai'i 4, New Mexico State 3
1. Brooklyn (UH) def. Matej Stakne (NMSU) 6-0, 6-4
2. Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Okamoto (UH) 4-6,6-3,6-2
3. Kovalyov (UH) def. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) 7-6,6-4
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Rice (UH) 7-5,6-4
5. Spiker (UH) def. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Casanova (UH) 6-4, 4-6,6-4
Order of finish: 5,1,4,2,3,6
1. Brooklyn/Kovalyov (UH) def. Stakne/Ramirez (NMSU), 8-5
2. Westgate/Frattini (NMSU) def. Rice/Lam (UH), 8-5
3. Casanova/Schuster (UH) def. Degardin/Pfister (NMSU), 8-2
Order of finish: 3,1,2