Las Cruces, N.M.-The New Mexico State University men's tennis team defeated the University of Idaho 5-0 on Thursday, April 21, to start off the season-concluding weekend for the team.
The win secures a spot for NM State in the Western Athletic Conference tournament and puts the Aggies in a good position to finish out the regular season.
"It was a good, positive day in many respects," said head tennis coach Carlos Vargas.
Vargas used a doubles lineup different from the one used for the majority of the season for the second-straight match. The move by Vargas paid off, earning the Aggies a sweep of all three doubles matches.
"We tried different doubles pairs for the second-straight time," Vargas said. "The first time it did not work but this second time it paid off for us."
Senior Jim Brouleau and junior Matej Stakne defeated Marius Cristea and Alexandru Joitoiu in a quick 8-1 victory in the No. 1 match. Sophomore Orlando Superlano and newly assigned partner senior Arthur Surreaux teamed up and defeated Lachlan Reed and Jose Bendeck 8-5 in the No. 2 match. The new pair of sophomore Luis Ramirez and freshman Marc Westgate defeated Abid Akbar and Andrew Dobbs 8-7 in the No. 3 match.
NM State carried the momentum of the domination in doubles over to singles, sweeping Idaho in all matches that finished.
"The doubles point got us kick-started for singles," Vargas said. "We had some of our best intensity of the entire semester today."
Brouleau defeated Reed 6-1, 7-6, in the No. 2 match. Superlano mirrored Brouleau's performance in reversed sets, defeating Joitoiu 7-6, 6-1, in the No. 3 match. Stakne displayed the most dominant performance in singles of the day by defeating Akbar 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 4 match. Freshman Felipe Frattini closed out the lineup with a 6-4, 6-3, victory over Alan Shin in the No. 6 match.
The singles matches of Surreaux and Luis were declared unfinished.
NM State continues play tomorrow against No. 50 Boise State at 1:30 p.m. (MT).
NM State-5, Idaho-0
1. Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) vs. Marius Cristea (UI) unfinished
2. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) def. Lachlan Reed (UI) 6-1, 7-6
3. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Alexandru Joitoiu (UI) 7-6, 6-1
4. Matej Stakne (NMSU) def. Abid Akbar (UI) 6-1, 6-2
5. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) vs. Jose Bendeck (UI) unfinished
6. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) def. Alan Shin (UI) 6-4, 6-3
1. Jim Brouleau/Matej Stakne (NMSU) def. Marius Cristea/Alexandru Joitoiu (UI) 8-1
2. Orlando Superlano/Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) def. Lachlan Reed/Jose Bendeck (UI) 8-5
3. Luis Ramirez/Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Abid Akbar/Andrew Dobbs (UI) 8-7