Las Cruces, N.M.-The New Mexico State University men's tennis team proved that skill and technique overcome size by defeating Western New Mexico University 5-2 on Tuesday, April 19, in Las Cruces.
Six of the 10 players on the WNMU roster reach above the 6-foot mark while only three of the nine Aggies reach that same mark.
The win puts the Aggies at 11-7 heading into a crucial weekend for the team. NM State will face three conference opponents in four days, starting with the University of Idaho on Thursday, April 21. NM State will follow up with Boise State on Friday, April 22, and finish the season on Sunday, April 24, against Nevada.
The Aggies fell behind early, losing the doubles point. Senior Jim Brouleau and junior Matej Stakne defeated Johan Weich and Emmanuel Mensah 8-6 in the No. 1 match.
NM State was able to come back and win all but one singles match to win the match.
Brouleau produced the most dominating performance of the day by defeating Yair Banuelos 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 2 match. Sophomore Orlando Superlano defeated Rodrigo Almeida 7-6, 6-1, in the No. 3 match.
Stakne defeated Henning Thrien 7-6, 6-3, in the No. 4 match, followed by a 6-3, 6-4, victory by sophomore Luis Ramirez over Johan Weich in the No. 5 match. Freshman Felipe Frattini finished off the lineup by defeating Jean-Beniot Belin 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 6 match.
NM State-5, WNMU-2
1. Emmanuel Mensah (WNMU) def. Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) def. Yair Baneulos (WNMU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Rodrigo Almeida (WNMU) 7-6, 6-1
4. Matej Stakne (NMSU) def. Henning Thrien (WNMU) 7-6, 6-3
5. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Johan Weich (WNMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) def. Jean-Beniot Belin (WNMU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Jim Brouleau/Matej Stakne (NMSU) def. Johan Weich/Emmanuel Mensah (WNMU) 8-6
2. Rodrigo Alemeida/Jean-Beniot Belin (WNMU) def. Orlando Superlano/Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 8-5
3. Yair Benuelos/Henning Thrien (WNMU) def. Luis Ramirez/Marc Westgate (NMSU) 8-5