Fresno, Calif.-The New Mexico State University men's tennis team lost a tough match to No. 39 Fresno State on Sunday, April 17, falling 5-1.
NM State entered the match after defeating Hawai'i 6-1 on Friday, April 15. The 5-1 loss to Fresno State puts the Aggies at 10-7 overall and 1-2 in the Western Athletic Conference.
Sophomore Luis Ramirez defeated Nick Papac 6-1, 6-4, for the Aggies' lone singles victory on the day.
The doubles match between the Aggie duo of senior Arthur Surreaux and freshman Marc Westgate against the Bulldog pair of Siddharth Alapati and David Ayoun did not finish, and the singles match between junior Matej Stakne and Francis Alcantara was called off in the second set with Stakne down one set.
The Aggies prepare for a busy week to wrap up the regular season. The Aggies will play four matches over the span of six days starting on Tuesday.
NM State will take on Western New Mexico University on Tuesday, April 19, at 1:00 p.m. for the last non-conference match. The Aggies will then play host to a couple of the top teams in the WAC.
NM State will first face Idaho on Thursday, April 21, at 1:00 p.m. NM State will then face Boise State on Friday, April 22, at 1:30 p.m. NM State will conclude the season on Sunday, April 24, against Nevada at 9:00 a.m.
Idaho is currently 2nd in the WAC with a 3-1 conference record and Boise State is 3rd with a 2-2 record. Nevada sits at the bottom of the WAC with a 0-3 conference record.
NM State-1, Fresno State-5
- No. 94 Remi Boutillier (FS) def. No. 64 Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 7-5, 7-6
- Rekus de Villiers (FS) def. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) 6-3, 6-4
- Jean-Charles Diame (FS) def. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) 7-5, 7-5
- Francis Alcantara (FS) vs. Matej Stakne (NMSU) 6-2, 3-4 DNF
- Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Nick Papac (FS) 6-1, 6-4
- David Ayoun (FS) def. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) 6-2, 6-4
- No. 17 de Villiers/Boutillier (FS) def. Stakne/Brouleau (NMSU) 8-3
- Alcantara/Diame (FS) def. Superlano/Ramirez (NMSU) 8-4
- Alapati/Ayoun (FS) def. Surreaux/Westgate (NMSU) DNF