Las Cruces, N.M.-The New Mexico State University men's tennis team defeated the University of Hawai'i 4-2 in a critical conference match on Friday, April 15, in Fresno, Calif., to improve to 1-1 in the Western Athletic Conference.
The Aggies improved to 10-6 overall with five matches remaining before the conference tournament. Four of the five remaining matches are against conference opponents.
NM State got off to a slow start, dropping two of the three doubles matches. The sophomore tandem of Orlando Superlano and Luis Ramirez defeated Danilo Casanova and Daniel Llarenas 8-3 in the No. 2 doubles match to improve 9-5 as a pair this season.
NM State was able to change pace in singles, winning four matches to clinch the meet.
Senior Jim Brouleau came from behind to defeat Jeremy Tweedt 2-6, 6-3, 6-4, in the No. 2 match of singles. Superlano defeated Jonathan Brooklyn 6-3, 7-5, in the No. 3 match. With these singles victories, Brouleau and Superlano remain tied for the team-high of singles victories with 13 apiece.
Ramirez defeated Casanova in a tough fought 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, victory in the No. 5 match. Freshman Felipe Frattini rounded off the Aggie lineup with a 6-4, 7-6, victory over Jared Spiker in the No. 6 match.
"We fell short in the doubles point but I feel we had the right intensity," said head tennis coach Carlos Vargas. "We carried that good intensity into singles and it paid off."
The Aggies notched a crucial win and produced good momentum heading into the concluding match of the weekend against fellow WAC opponent Fresno State on Saturday, April 15. NM State will take on Fresno State starting at 9:00 a.m. (MT).
NM State-4, Hawai'i-2
1. Dennis Lajola (UH) def. Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) def. Jeremy Tweedt (UH) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Jonathan Brooklyn (UH) 6-3, 7-5
4. Matej Stakne (NMSU) vs. Dmytro Dovalyov (UH) unfinished
5. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Danilo Casanova 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
6. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) def. Jared Spiker (UH) 6-4, 7-6
1. Dennis Lajola/Jonathan Brooklyn (UH) def. Jim Brouleau/Matej Stakne (NMSU) 8-6
2. Luis Ramirez/Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Danilo Casanova/Daniel Llarenas (UH) 8-3
3. Jeremy Tweedt/Dmytro Kovalyov (UH) def. Arthur Surreaux/Marc Westgate (NMSU) 8-1