Arlington, Texas-The men's tennis team of New Mexico State University lost a close 4-3 match to the University of Texas-Arlington on Sunday, March 20, to finish the weekend 2-1.
The loss to UTA concludes a 3-match weekend road trip to Texas, which included a 5-2 win over TCU on Friday, March 18, and a 4-0 win over Columbia University on Saturday, March 19.
The team traveled from Fort Worth, Texas, after the match with TCU to Arlington, Texas, for the last two matches. The drain of travel coupled with the tough outdoor conditions left its mark on the team.
"The affects of our traveling finally caught up with the guys," said head tennis coach Carlos Vargas. "The conditions in Arlington were hotter and more humid than they were in Fort Worth."
Despite everything stacked against them, the Aggies were still able to push five of the six singles to three sets. Every Aggie won the first set of his respective singles match.
Senior Arthur Surreaux and Marc Westgate defeated Yauheni Yakauleau and Nicolas Moreno 8-6 for the lone NM State win in doubles.
Senior Jim Brouleau defeated Lucas Leppen 6-3, 6-2, for the most dominating singles win for the day by either team in the No. 2 match. Sophomore Orlando Superlano defeated Yakauleau 7-5, 4-6, 7-5, in the No. 3 match and sophomore Luis Ramirez defeated Moreno 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 in the No. 5 match.
The Aggies are now 9-6 heading into the week. NM State has three weekends off before the team travels to Fresno, Calif., to face conference opponents Fresno State on April 15, and Hawaii on April 17.
NM State-3, UTA-4
1. Mindaguas Celedinas (UTA) def. No. 67 Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
2. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) def. Lucas Leppen (UTA) 6-3, 6-2
3. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Yauheni Yakauleu (UTA) 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
4. Erik Hjertonsson (UTA) def. Matej Stakne (NMSU) 5-7, 6-2, 7-6
5. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Nicolas Moreno (UTA) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
6. David Subirats (UTA) def. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. Mindaguas Celedinas/David Subirats (UTA) def. Jim Brouleau/Matej Stakne (NMSU) 8-4
2. Lucas Leppen/Brieuc Hamon (UTA) def. Orlando Superlano/Luis Ramirez (NMSU) 8-6
3. Arthur Surreaux/Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Yauheni Yakauleu/Nicolas Moreno (UTA) 8-6