Las Cruces, N.M.-The No. 69 men's tennis team of New Mexico State University convincingly defeated No. 61 Texas Christian University 5-2 on Friday, March 18, in Fort Worth, Texas.
The victory gives the Aggies seven wins in their last eight matches. NM State is now 8-5 on the season.
The only NM State doubles pair to win on the day was sophomores Orlando Superlano and Luis Ramirez in the No. 2 match when they defeated Soren Goritzka and Zach Nichols 8-7.
Despite losing the doubles point, the Aggies were able to come back and win five of the six singles matches to take a convincing 5-2 win. Four of the five NM State victories were decided in two sets.
"Although most of the singles matches were decided in two sets, all of these matches were closer than the scores suggest," head tennis coach Carlos Vargas said. "Every match was a tough-fought match and exciting to watch."
Senior Arthur Surreaux, ranked No. 67, defeated No. 74 Emanuel Brighiu 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 1 match. Fellow senior Jim Brouleau followed up in the No. 2 match with a 7-5, 6-3, victory over Slah Mbarek.
Superlano and Ramirez were able to carry the momentum of their doubles victory into the singles matches to each earn a win. Superlano defeated Goritzka 6-3, 7-5, in the No. 3 match and Ramirez defeated Christopher Price 7-6, 4-7, 6-3, in the No. 5 match. Freshman Felipe Frattini rounded out the lineup with a 6-3, 6-2, win over Daniel Sanchez in the No. 6 match.
The Aggies continue their Texas road trip when they travel to Arlington, Texas, to face Columbia University on Saturday, March 18, at 6:00 p.m. (MT).
NM State-5, TCU-2
1. #67 Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) def. #74 Emanuel Brighiu (TCU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) def. Slah Mbarek (TCU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Soren Goritzka (TCU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Zach Nichols (TCU) def. Matej Stakne (NMSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Christopher Price (TCU) 7-6, 4-7, 6-3
6. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) def. Daniel Sanchez (TCU) 6-3, 6-2
1. #44 Emanuel Brighiu /Christopher Price (TCU) def. Jim Brouleau/Matej Stakne (NMSU) 8-3
2. Luis Ramirez/Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Soren Goritzka/Zach Nichols (TCU) 8-7
3. Paul Chappell/Cameron Nash (TCU) def. Arthur Surreaux/Marc Westgate (NMSU) 8-6