Las Cruces, N.M.-The men's tennis team of New Mexico State University split even during its road trip this weekend, winning a match against Sacramento State 4-2 on Saturday, March 5, and falling to No. 42 Arizona 6-1 on Sunday, March 6, in Tucson, Ariz.
The loss against Arizona ends a 5-match winning streak by NM State. The Aggies' last loss came exactly one month ago when they lost to Cal Poly 5-2 on Feb. 6.
Against Arizona, NM State fought tough, forcing three of the six singles matches to three sets.
Sophomore Orlando Superlano defeated Andre Vidaller 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 in the No. 3 match. Senior Jim Brouleau and junior Matej Stakne each forced their respective singles match to three sets.
Brouleau and Stakne teamed up in the No. 1 match of doubles to defeat Geoff Embry and Jason Zafiros 9-8.
The Aggies are now 7-5 as they return to Las Cruces for a week off. NM State will next be in action on March 18 when the team travels to Fort Worth, Texas, to face TCU.
March 6, 2011
No. 56 NM State-1, No. 42 Arizona-6
1. Stakne/Brouleau (NMSU) def. Embry/Zafiros (UA) 9-8 (4)
2. Urquidi/Vidaller (UA) def. Superlano/Ramirez (NMSU) 8-6
3. Carrasco/Thompson (UA) def. Surreaux/Westgate (NMSU) 8-6*
Arizona Wins Doubles Point
1. No. 107 Andres Carrasco (UA) def. No. 77 Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
3. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Andre Vidaller (UA) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
4. Geoff Embry (UA) def. Matej Stakne (NMSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Kieren Thompson (UA) def. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Mario Urquidi (UA) def. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) 7-6 (6), 6-1*