Las Cruces, N.M.-It did not even take all seven match points to decide a victory for the men's tennis team of New Mexico State over Sacramento State University on Saturday, March 5.
NM State defeated Sacramento State 4-2 in Tucson, Ariz., without needing the final singles match to decide the victory.
Senior Arthur Surreaux and freshman Marc Westgate was the only pair of Aggies to win a doubles match, defeating Javier Millan and Josh Lorentzen 8-5 in the No. 3 match.
Despite dropping the doubles point, the Aggies were still able to clinch the victory with dominating performances in the singles matches. Every Aggie victory in singles was decided in two sets.
Senior Jim Brouleau defeated Jason Smith 6-1, 6-4, in the No. 2 match. Sophomore Orlando Superlano defeated Aliaksandr Malko 6-0, 6-4, in the No. 3 match. Junior Matej Stakne defeated Marko Starcevic 6-2, 6-1, in the No. 4 match. Sophomore Luis Ramirez defeated Josh Lorentzen 6-2, 6-1, in the No. 5 match.
The No. 6 match between Freshman Felipe Frattini and Javier Millan was called off due to the guaranteed victory for NM State. Frattini won the first set 7-5, before the match was cancelled.
NM State concludes the weekend road trip tomorrow when they face Arizona.
NM State-4, Sacramento State-2
1. Kiryl Harbatsuik (SSU) def. Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) def. Jason Smith (SSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Aliaksandr Malko (SSU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Matej Stakne (NMSU) def. Marko Starcevic (SSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Josh Lorentzen (SSU) 6-2, 6-1
*6. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) vs. Javier Millan (SSU) 7-5
*Match called due to confirmation of NM State win
1. Marko Starcevic/Kiryl Harbatsuik (SSU) def. Matej Stakne/Jim Brouleau (NMSU) 8-6
2. Jason Smith/Aliaksandr Malko (SSU) def. Orlando Superlano/Luis Ramirez (NMSU) 9-8
3. Arthur Surreaux/Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Javier Millan/Josh Lorentzen (SSU) 8-5