Las Cruces, N.M.-The men's tennis team of New Mexico State University, ranked No. 58, defeated the University of Texas-San Antonio 5-2 on Saturday, Feb. 19, to cap off a 2-win weekend and increase the team's winning streak to five matches.
The Aggies have not won five consecutively scheduled matches since 2009. The win puts NM State at 6-4, capping off the team's last home stand until it returns on April 20.
NM State did not win the doubles point, but still notched a win when senior Jim Brouleau and junior Matej Stakne defeated Martin Ayola and Pedro Zanotelli 8-6 in the No. 2 match.
The Aggies scored wins in all matches from No. 2-6 in singles. Every NM State victory was decided in two sets.
Brouleau defeated Yannick Junger 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 2 match, followed by a 6-4, 6-4, victory by sophomore Orlando Superlano over Tyler Brown in the No. 3 match.
Stakne defeated Max Stratmann 6-4, 7-5, in the No. 4 match and sophomore Luis Ramirez defeated Daniel Moser 6-3, 6-3, in the No. 5 match. Freshman Felipe Frattini finished off the lineup by defeating Pedro Zanotelli 6-2, 6-1, in the No. 6 match.
The men's tennis team prepares for another long road trip, which includes matches against five currently-ranked teams. The Aggies will next be in action on Saturday, March 5, when they travel to Tucson, Ariz., to face Sacramento State.
NM State 5, UTSA 2
1. Martin Ayola (UTSA) def. Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 6-1, 6-2
3. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Matej Stakne (NMSU) def. Max Stratmann (UTSA) 6-4, 7-5
5. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Daniel Moser (UTSA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) def. Pedro Zanotelli (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
1. Jim Brouleau/Matej Stakne (NMSU) def. Martin Ayola/Pedro Zanotelli (UTSA) 8-6
2. Tyler Brown/Yannick Junger (UTSA) def. Orlando Superlano/Luis Ramirez (NMSU) 8-5
3. Max Stratmann/Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) def. Arthur Surreaux/Marc Westgate (NMSU) 8-5