SACRAMENTO – The New Mexico State men’s tennis team won two doubles’ matches and four singles’ matches on Saturday to mark a win over Sacramento State, 5-2, at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club in the Golden State’s capital.
The win snaps a four-match losing streak for the Aggies and improves NM State’s record to 8-7. The Hornets, meanwhile, fall to 4-10 on the season.
The Aggies started the day by winning the doubles’ point after taking two of three doubles matches. The NM State duo of senior Marc Westgate and sophomore Naveen Manivannan won their match 8-4, as did the doubles team of junior Patrick Pfister and redshirt sophomore Paul Denele. The Aggies almost made it 3-for-3 in doubles as junior Germain Degardin and sophomore Liam Goldberg narrowly lost, 8-7.
In singles play, Degardin won at the No. 2 spot, 5-7, 6-4, 6-1 while Goldberg also won in three sets at the four spot, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4). NM State also took the five and six spots as Pfister won in three sets at No. 5 (7-5, 1-6, 6-1) and Manivannan won in straight sets at No. 6 (7-5, 6-1).
The Aggies conclude their California road trip on Sunday, March 16, with a short trip south of Sacramento to face Santa Clara. The Broncos are 9-2 on the season and are ranked 49th in the nation by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA). The match is scheduled for a noon (MDT) start.
Tennis Match Results
New Mexico State vs Sacramento State
Mar 15, 2014 at Sacramento, Calif.
(Rio Del Oro Racquet Club)
New Mexico State 5, Sacramento State 2
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
3. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Liam Goldberg (NMSU) def. MILLER, Tom (SAC) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. MARQUEZ, Joaquin (SAC) 7-5, 1-6, 6-1
6. Naveen Manivannan (NMSU) def. ANDERSEN, Oliver (SAC) 7-5, 6-1
1. Marc Westgate/Naveen Manivannan (NMSU) def. ANDERSEN, Oliver/RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 8-4
2. Patrick Pfister/Paul Denele (NMSU) def. MILLER, Tom/MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) 8-4
3. ABDULWAHAB, Ayman/BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. Germain Degardin/Liam Goldberg (NMSU) 8-7
New Mexico State 8-7
Sacramento State 4-10
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,6,5,1,2,4)