LAS CRUCES, N.M. (March 19) – The New Mexico State men’s tennis team improved to a 9-4 overall season record after downing UT Permian Basin 7-0 on Tuesday, March 19 at the NM State Tennis Center.
The Aggies move to a three-match win streak after picking up the doubles point by winning each of the three matches. Freshmen Daniel Fernandez and Naveen Manivannan teamed up at the No. 1 court to claim an 8-2, while Marc Westgate and Paul Denele worked at the second court for an 8-4 win over the Falcon duo.
With senior Luis Ramirez paired up with Guilherme Carvalho for an 8-6 win at the third position, helping the Aggies to a 1-0 lead on the dual. The win was Ramirez’ eighth this season, but the first for both players at the No. 3 court.
The Aggies swept through singles play as well, picking up the 7-0 win. Each of the Aggies worked for the point in straight sets over the Falcons.
Ramirez worked for his fifth win at the No. 1 position and sixth win this season with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Johnathan Rutlege, while Fernandez worked for his ninth win this season with a 6-0, 6-1 win at the second court.
The Aggies on the next four courts each picked up the point in just two games each, giving NM State its third consecutive win and ninth on the season. NM State now heads to Texas Tech to meet the Red Raiders on Saturday, March 24, at 11 a.m.
- Luis Ramirez (NMST) def. Jonathan Rutlege (UTPB) 6-1 6-0
- Daniel Fernandez (NMST) def. Alvaro Sifuentes(UTPB) 6-0 6-1
- Marc Westgate (NMST) Meliton Morales (UTPB) 6-0 6-1
- Germain Degardin (NMST) def. Adam Cheney (UTPB) 6-2 6-0
- Patrick Pfister (NMST) def. Justin Delgado (UTPB) 6-1 6-1
- Strahinja Trecakov (NMST) def. Jaxon Immler (UTPB) 6-2 6-3
- Fernandez/Manivannan (NMST) def. Sifuentes/Immler (UTPB) 8-2
- Westgate/Denele (NMST) def. Cheney/Rutlege (UTPB) 8-4
- Ramirez/Carvalho (NMST) def. Morales/Delgado (UTPB) 8-6