LAS CRUCES, N.M. (March 1) - The New Mexico state men's tennis team earned a 6-1 win over the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks on Friday, March 1, during the home opening match at the Aggie Tennis Center. NM State moves to 5-3 in dual play.
The Aggies swept the doubles matches to win the first point of the day. Luis Ramirez and Marc Westgate claimed an 8-4 win over their Lumberjack opponents at the top doubles spot to help NM State with the point.
"We played well today," head coach Carlos Vargas said. "We played better in doubles, but will have to step it up for UTA on Sunday."
The Aggies picked up five of the six singles points on the day with the only loss coming at the No. 3 court as Westgate battled three sets before falling 6-4, 1-6, 7-5 to his opponent. Ramirez took his point at the No. 1 singles position in straight sets, while Strahinja Trecakov picked up the points at court six in consecutive sets also.
Paul Denele and Germain Degardin worked at courts four and five for Aggie points as well. Degardin won 6-0, 4-6 (13-11) and Denele went three sets before clinching the point 5-7, 6-1, 6-4.
NM State is back in action on Sunday, March 3, to open Western Athletic Conference play against UT Arlington. The match is set for 10 a.m.
NM State 6, NAU 1
Aggie Tennis Center
1. Ramirez/Westgate (NMS) def. Waters/Black (NAU)8-4
2. Degardin/Blank (NMS) def. Laleli/Schimmelbaur (NAU) 8-6
3. Fernandez/Mannivanan (NMS) def. Martin/Vhger (NAU) 8-3
1. Ramirez (NMS) def. Waters (NAU) 7-6, 6-1
2. Fernandez (NMS) def. Schimmelbaur (NAU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Martin (NAU) def. Westgate (NMS) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
4. Degardin (NMS) def. Black (NAU) 6-0, 4-6 (13-11)
5. Denele (NMS) def. Laleli (NAU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
6. Trecakov (NMS) def. Burrios (NAU) 6-3, 7-5