“New Mexico State University has been part of the Las Cruces community for more than 125 years,” said NM State President Garrey Carruthers. “This agreement will strengthen those ties while benefiting both our student-athletes as well as people in and around Las Cruces.”
“Consistent with our goal that is outlined in our strategic plan about outreach, we see this as an excellent opportunity to partner with the City of Las Cruces in supporting youth initiatives in the area of sport and recreation,” Athletics Director Dr. McKinley Boston said. “Our student-athletes and coaches are all excited and looking forward to the facilitation of this initiative.”
NM State and the City provide the community with a variety of activities that enrich the quality of life for the citizens. NM State student-athletes provide strong role models for the community’s youth and encourage the pursuit of higher education. The City will encourage support and participation of our community to attend athletic events and learn more about our local student-athletes.
City program participants will have an opportunity to interact with NM State student-athletes and learn what it takes to become a collegiate student-athlete. Program participants will learn how to play different sports, understand the importance of dedication and commitment as well as the importance of good sportsmanship and education.
The two parties have agreed to the following services that each entity will provide:
NM State Athletics Department will:
1. Provide college athletes and or coaching staff to throw out the first ball to begin leagues (basketball, football, volleyball, t-ball, etc.)
2. Provide opportunities for the City program participants to meet, sign autographs and speak with athletes or coaching staff throughout the year (all sports).
3. Designate a home game day for City program participants to attend events at a possible discount. (all sports)
4. Work closely with the city staff to create an Aggie Athlete Volunteer program that will bring student athletes and our youth together to promote citizenship, team work, education, discipline and sportsmanship.
5. Provide the ability to promote City events on video boards located in stadiums (Aggie Memorial Stadium and the Pan American Center)
The City of Las Cruces will:
1. Provide facilities and locations to place NMSU game day banners for all sports (Meerscheidt Recreation Center, Las Cruces Regional Aquatic Center and ball fields located on Hadley Avenue)
2. Provide opportunities, along with lottery and registration days to promote ticket sales and family packages for upcoming sporting events.
3. Promote an official “Aggie Day” where City Employees are encouraged to wear Aggie gear and colors representing NMSU Athletics on designated home game dates throughout the year. (all sports to be represented)
4. Provide opportunities for the New Mexico State Athletics logo to be placed on sport activity flyers.
5. Provide the opportunity for the New Mexico State Aggie logo to be placed on the front page of the Parks and Recreation Department web-site and provide a link to the New Mexico State web-site, as consistent with City policy.
6. Official proclamation promoting “Aggie Days” and introducing the partnership between New Mexico State Athletic Department and the City of Las Cruces Parks and Recreation Department.