DENVER, Colo. – The New Mexico State men’s tennis team earned a spot in the semifinals of the 2013 Western Athletic Conference Championship with a 4-0 win over fifth-seed Utah State on Friday, April 26. The No. 4 Aggies are set to meet No. 1 Denver on Saturday, April 27, at 10 a.m.
The Aggies picked up an early lead with two wins on the doubles courts for the first point of the day. Switching up the doubles pairs from the regular season, Naveen Manivannan and Yannick Blank got the first win of the day for NM State with an 8-2 decision over the blue Aggies’ duo at the third spot. Luis Ramirez and Paul Denele earned an 8-5 win at the No. 1 court to clinch the point.
“We played a little better in doubles today,” head coach Carlos Vargas said. “We are continuing to get better and are coming together as a team. We’ll need to be even better tomorrow against Denver.”
With a 1-0 lead going into singles play, the Aggies needed just three wins to secure a spot in Saturday’s WAC competition. Patrick Pfister was the first Aggie to pick up an individual point at the sixth position with a win in consecutive sets (6-2, 6-0).
Marc Westgate and Paul Denele worked for the next two points at the third and fifth courts, respectively. Westgate defeated Matt Sweet 6-3 and 6-2 at the No. 3 spot before Denele came up with a fourth and final Aggie point (6-2, 6-3) in straight sets.
NM State heads into the semifinals round of the WAC Championship to face top-seed and regular season champion, Denver at 10 a.m. on Saturday, April 27.
1. Luis Ramirez/Paul Denele (NMSU) def. Sven Poslusny/Matt Sweet (USU), 8-5
2. Andrew Whiting/Marcus Fritz (USU) vs. Daniel Fernandez/Marc Westgate (NMSU), 7-5 UNF
3. Naveen Manivannan/Yannick Blank (NMSU) def. Fredrick Peterson/Curran Wearmouth (USU), 8-2
Order of finish: (3, 1,)
1. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) vs. Sven Poslusny (USU), 7-6, 2-2 UNF
2. Daniel Fernandez (NMSU) vs. Fredrik Petersen (USU), 6-2, 1-3 UNF
3. Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Matt Sweet (USU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) vs. Curran Wearmouth (USU), 6-3, 4-3 UNF
5. Paul Denele (NMSU) def. Marcus Fritz (USU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Andrew Whiting (USU), 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: (6, 3, 5)