SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS – The New Mexico State women’s tennis team fell in two straight Western Athletic Conference duals to wrap the weekend in San Antonio. The Aggies fell 4-0 to Idaho on Saturday, April 6, and then suffered a 4-0 loss to UTSA on Sunday afternoon, April 7.
NM State worked the doubles matches at all three courts with senior Jodie Williams and Denise Van Der Ben fought their way to a close 9-8 (7-6) loss at the second doubles court. An injury at the third court caused the Vandals to claim the win and the point against Annemieke Witte and Mia Brandt as the score was 6-1 before NM State had to retire the match.
Idaho was able to claim three wins in singles play to clinch the match, but not before NM State worked two of those to three sets. As Williams fell (7-5, 6-3) at court two, Van Der Ben worked her third court to a 6-3 win in the second game, but dropped game one 4-6 and then eventually fell 6-4 in the final set.
Brandt also battled three sets at the sixth court for NM State with a loss in the first and third sets, but a 6-3 win in set two. With IU taking the four points, the other three singles matches were left unfinished.
NM State came back on the final day of the WAC dual weekend for a 4-0 loss to the UTSA Roadrunners on Sunday afternoon. NM State fell in two close doubles matches, giving the point to UTSA. Senior Ginet Pinero and junior Ros-Polly Nguyen swung to a 8-5 loss at the top doubles spot and Williams and Van Der Ben teamed up at court two, but dropped 8-4 at the second court.
Pinero and Williams each fell 6-2 and 6-4 at their respective courts. Pinero worked her fifth match at the top spot and Williams fell at court No. 2.
Brandt suffered the third singles loss for the Aggies at the sixth position 6-0, 6-2. The middle three courts were left unfinished, but both Van Der Ben at court three and Nguyen at the fifth spot, were battling in the third set. Witte was also working her No. 4 court (6-7 (4-7), 2-3) before the match was called.
The Aggies head into the final week of competition before the WAC Tournament by hosting Utah State on Friday, April 12, and then welcoming Denver on Sunday, April 14, for Senior Day. Aggie seniors Pinero and Williams will each be honored at Sunday’s dual.
Idaho 4, New Mexico State 0
April 6, 2013
1. V. Lozano/A. Sanz (UI) vs. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU) DNF
2. C. Alexander/A. Lozano (UI) def. Williams/Van DerBen (NMSU)9-8(7-6)
3. R. Bermudez/B. Flores (UI) def. Witte/Brandt (NMSU) 6-1, ret
1. V. Lozano (UI) vs. Pinero (NMSU) DNF
2. A. Sanz (UI) def. Williams (NMSU) 7-5, 6-3
3. C. Alexaner (UI) def. Van Der Ben (NMSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. B. Barcenilla (UI) vs. Witte (NMSU) DNF
5. B. Flores (UI) vs. Nguyen (NMSU) DNF
6. A. Lozano (UI) def. Brandt (NMSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
New Mexico State vs UTSA
Apr 7, 2013 at San Antonio, Texas
UTSA 4, New Mexico State 0
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Alena Shichkova (UTSA) vs. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 2-6, 6-3, 0-1, unfinished
4. Kavya Menon (UTSA) vs. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 6-7 (4-7), 2-3, unfinished
5. Miranda Poile (UTSA) vs. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 1-6, 6-2, 1-0, unfinished
6. Irene Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Mia Brandt (NMSU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Isabelle Jonsson/Alena Shichkova (UTSA) def. Ginet Pinero/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 8-5
2. Jacobea Junger/Daniela Garcia-Diaz (UTSA) def. Jodie Williams/Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 8-4
3. Kavya Menon/Natalie Hand (UTSA) vs. Annemieke Witte/Mia Brandt (NMSU) 7-4, unfinished
New Mexico State 5-13, 1-5 WAC
UTSA 6-11, 1-5 WAC