SAN JOSE, CALIF. – The New Mexico State women’s tennis team was topped 6-1 by the San Jose State Spartans in the Western Athletic Conference opener on Wednesday, March 20. The loss snaps the Aggies three-game winning streak and moves the team to 4-8 this season and 0-1 in conference play.
NM State battled in each of the three doubles matches before eventually falling in each to give SJSU the point. At the second court, Denise Van Der Ben and Annemieke Witte fought to a 8-6 loss.
Senior Ginet Pinero teamed up with Ros-Polly Nguyen for a battle at the top spot, but fell 8-2.
The Aggies struggled to find their groove in singles as well. While Witte battled and took her opponent to three sets on the fourth court, she was ultimately on the losing end 6-2, 1-6, 10-6.
Mia Brandt was the lone Aggie win in singles play with a 6-3, 6-7, 10-5 (7-4) faceoff at the sixth court. She topped Amber Walker for her second straight win this season.
NM State now faces Texas State on Friday, March 22, before meeting Louisiana Tech and Seattle to finish out the conference-opening weekend March 23-24.
San Jose State University Women’s Tennis
Spartan Tennis Complex, San Jose, Calif.
March 20, 2013
San Jose State (SJSU) 6, New Mexico State (NMST) 1
- Sabastiani Leon Chao/Erica Medlin (SJSU) def. Ginet Pinero/Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMST), 8-2
- Amber Walker/Jessica Willett (SJSU) def. Denis Van Der Ben/Annemieke Witte (NMST), 8-6
- Julianna Bacelar/ Chau Truong (SJSU) def. Jodie Williams/Mia Brandt (NMST), 8-0
- Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) def. Ginet Pinero (NMST), 6-1, 6-2
- Chau Truong (SJSU) def. Jodie Williams (NMST), 6-1, 6-2
- Erica Medlin (SJSU) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMST), 6-1, 6-0
- Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Annemieke Witte (NMST), 6-2, 1-6, 10-6
- Jessica Willett (SJSU) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMST), 6-1, 6-3.
- Mia Brandt (NMST) def. Amber Walker (SJSU), 6-3, 6-7, 10-5 (7-4)