LAS CRUCES, N.M. (March 8) - The New Mexico State women's tennis team snapped a six-match losing skid after powering past the Western New Mexico Mustangs on Friday afternoon, 6-1 at the NM State Tennis Center. The Aggies move to 2-7 on the season.
NM State came up early with a sweep in doubles play to take a 1-0 lead over the Mustangs. While Ginet Pinero and Ros-Polly Nguyen worked for an 8-3 win at the top spot, Denise Van Der Ben and Annemieke Witte breezed to an 8-0 win at the second court to help NM State gather the first point.
"It is good to get a win after all these weeks," head coach Ivan Fernandez said. "I hope this will help us gain some confidence and keep it going on Sunday for Tarleton State."
Four Aggies did not surrender a game in singles play, taking their respective points in straight sets. Van Der Ben, Witte, Nguyen and Lisa Roslanova each picked up Aggie points at court Nos. 3, 4, 5 and 6. Van Der Ben and Nguyen flew to 6-0, 6-0 wins on their courts.
This marks the fourth straight singles win for Nguyen and third consecutive win for Witte during individual play.
Pinero worked three games before claiming the point at court two. She worked for a 6-3 win, then was tripped up by Ashley Newell 5-7, but came back for a hard-fought 10-6 win for the point.
The Aggies take back to the NM State Tennis Center on Sunday to meet Tarleton State at 9 a.m.
New Mexico State 6, Western New Mexico, 1
1. Anna Tiurina def. Jodie Williams (NMS) 1-6, 6-1, 10-5
2. Ginet Pinero (NMS) def. Ashley Newell 6-3, 5-7, 10-6
3. Denise Van Der Ben (NMS) def. Claudia Osuna 6-0, 6-0
4. Annemieke Witte (NMS) def. Doris Berberic 6-1, 6-1
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMS) def. Diamond Morrill 6-0, 6-0
6. Lisa Roslanova (NMS) def. Davida Aragon 6-2, 6-0
1. Pinero/Nguyen (NMS) def. Tiurina/Newell 8-4
2. Denise Van Der Ben/Witte (NMS) def. Irvin/Osuna 8-0
3. Williams/Brandt (NMS) def. Berberic/Morrill 8-3