LAS CRUCES, N.M. (Feb. 18) -- With little time to rest, the New Mexico State softball team welcomes in-state rival New Mexico on Tuesday, Feb. 19, for a single game as part of the rival's three-game series this season. First pitch is set for 5 p.m. at the NM State Softball Complex and is set to be broadcast live on AggiVision.
The Aggies have collected a 7-4 record this season that includes the 3-0 win over UNM on Feb. 10 at the NM State Softball Complex. Most recently, the Aggies went 4-3 on the week with a 7-1 win over I-10 rival UTEP on Tuesday and six games in the final home tournament of the 2013 season, the Troy Cox Classic.
With stellar numbers from the past week, sophomore Staci Rodriguez was named WAC Hitter of the Week as she led the Aggies at the plate over the week with a .400 batting average and .840 slugging percentage. She worked for a .429 on-base percentage and was 10-for-25 at the plate for NM State with two double, a sacrifice fly and a career-high 13 RBI with three home runs.
The Aggies went on a six-game win streak through the first week of the 2013 season before being knocked off by Colorado State and Penn State on Saturday, Feb. 16. NM State came back on Sunday to split its games with a 9-2 win over the Rams and a 5-3 loss in extra innings to Texas Tech.
The Aggies look to get back on the winning path with the mid-week game versus the Lobos before playing two games against South Dakota and I-10 rival UTEP on Saturday, Feb. 23 nd Sunday, Feb. 24.
- The mid-week single bill is set to be broadcast on AggieVision and your local Comcast channel at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 19, with Jay Sanderson as your play-by-play broadcaster.
- Live stats are also available at www.nmstatesports.com
- Get all the updates of Aggie Athletics on Twitter and Facebook. Get in-game statistics and in-game updates on Twitter @NMStateAggies and @NMSUSoftball. Find out about all Aggie Athletics promotions and events on Facebook (NMSU Athletics and The Aggie Student-Athlete).
- Sophomore Kelsey Dodd is hitting .400 so far this season with 12 hits and six runs with nine RBI.
- Sophomore Staci Rodriguez was named WAC Hitter of the Week for a .429 on-base percentage and going 10-for-25 at the plate for NM State with two double, a sacrifice fly and a career-high 13 RBI with three home runs through the Aggies seven games last week.
- NM State beat in-state rival UNM Sunday, Feb. 10, in a 3-0 victory in 7 innings.
- The Aggies then defeated I-10 rival UTEP 7-1 on Tuesday, Feb. 12.
Power in the Circle
- Senior Pitcher Alex Newman pitched 35.0 innings, has 17 strikeouts, and boasts a 2.60 ERA through her nine appearances in the circle. She goes into the week with a 4-3 record.
- As a pitching staff, the Aggies have worked for a 3.13 ERA this season and combined for 46 strikeouts.
About the Lobos
- The Lobos have a 5-8 overall record after going 5-1 in the Lobos Classic last weekend.
- Freshmen hurlers Lisa Rodrigues and Lauren Soles led the way in earning shutout victories over IPFW (1-0 in 8 inn.) and Central Michigan (4-0 in 5 1/3 inn.), respectively.
- The Lobos are hitting .224 with a .304 slugging percentage and .954 fielding percentage through the first two weeks of 2013 after starting the season 0-7.