LAS CRUCES, N.M. (Feb. 14) - The New Mexico State softball team host the second tournament in as many weeks and welcomes Texas Tech, Penn State, UMKC and Colorado State to the Troy Cox Classic, Feb. 15-17, at the NM State Softball Complex.
After opening the 2013 season with a 3-1 record over the course of the weekend while hosting the Hotel Encanto Invitational, NM State came back for a 7-1 mid-week win over I-10 rival UTEP on Tuesday evening.
Going into the second weekend of the season, NM State gets to work against UMKC and Penn State on Friday evening to open play during the Troy Cox Classic. The Aggies game against the Nittany Lions is set to have a live video stream with the game tentatively set for 6 p.m.
PSU is the opening act for the Aggies on Saturday, followed by Colorado State. The games are set for 2 and 4 p.m., respectively.
The Aggies tussle with the Red Raiders on Sunday, Feb. 17 as the tournament closer, as TTU comes to Las Cruces with a 3-2 record with losses to No. 18 Louisville and DePaul.
The first pitch of the weekend is slated for 9:30 a.m. on Friday morning between the Red Raiders and the Rams.
- NM State vs. Penn State on Friday, Feb. 15 is available via Live Stream on NMStateSports.com
- Both the Aggie games on Sunday, Feb. 17 are available to listen live on NMStateSports.com and locally on KSNM AM570 with Jay Sanderson making the call
- Get all the updates of Aggie Athletics on Twitter and Facebook. Get in-game statistics and in-game updates on Twitter @NMStateAggies and @NMSUSoftball. Find out about all Aggie Athletics promotions and events on Facebook (NMSU Athletics and The Aggie Student-Athlete).
- Sophomore Kelsey Dodd hit for .600 and had an on-base percentage of .706 for the weekend.
- Sophomore Staci Rodriguez finished the weekend with a 1.214 slugging percentage after she tallied three homeruns and two doubles at 14 at-bats. She was 11 for 14 at the plate during the invitational.
- NM State beat in-state rival UNM Sunday, Feb. 10, in a 3-0 victory in 7 innings.
- The Aggies then defeated I-10 rival UTEP 7-1 on Tuesday, Feb. 12.
Power in the Circle
- Senior Pitcher Alex Newman pitched 17.2 innings, had 8 strikeouts, and finished 3-1 with a 0.79 ERA in the Hotel Encanto Invitational.
- During the Hotel Encanto Invitational (2/8-2/10), the Aggies pitched a 1.27 ERA in 33 innings.
Newcomers in Action
- Freshman Emma Adams holds .400 batting average to lead all the Aggie newcomers after the first week on the diamond. She went 2-for-5 on the weekend with one start.
Troy Cox Classic
- The Troy Cox Classic dates back to 1991 as the first year of the tournament.
- The UMKC Kangaroos are 3-1 for the season after the Upstate Classic last weekend.
- Freshman Liz Broyles had a seven-hit performance and slugged .909 during the 'Roos for game opening tournament.
- Senior pitcher Deanna Firese tallied 20 strikeouts over 17 innings for a 2-0 finish and 2.65 ERA.
- UMKC is 0-4 all-time against the Aggies. The teams last faced each other in 2009 with NM State taking the win 8-4
Scouting Penn State
- The Nittany Lions open the 2013 slate at the Troy Cox Classic
- Bringing back two hurlers for 2013, Marissa Diescher went 78.2 innings last season for a 5-9 record as a freshman in 22 appearances in the circle.
- Aggies are 2-1 all-time against Penn State as the teams met most recently in 2010 when the Aggies claimed a 10-9 win over the Nittany Lions.
Scouting Texas Tech
- Starting the season 3-2 with losses coming to top-30 teams, TTU is led by Mikey Kenney at the plate with a .533 average and two homeruns. Kenney made all five starts last weekend and picked up four RBI.
- Top hurler for the Red Raiders is Brittany Tailey with a 3.07 ERA and a 4-3 record this season. She's worked 13.2 innings and struck out 12.
- The Red Raiders and the Aggies have a seasoned history as TTU holds a 23-18 record over NM State. In a defining battle in 2011, the Red Raiders were able to pull off a 6-4 win over the WAC Champion Aggies to knock them out of NM State's inaugural NCAA berth
Scouting Colorado State
- The Rams are 2-3 coming into the Troy Cox Classic this weekend.
- Senior Brianna Donahue leads Colorado State in batting average (.375) and on-base percentage (.375).
- Senior Kacie McCarthy pitched 15 innings with a 1.87 ERA and a 1-1 record.
- NM State leads the all-time series 29-23 over the Rams. Colorado State made an appearance in 2012 at the Troy Cox Classic and the Aggies claimed two wins over the weekend on CSU.
Troy Cox Classic
Feb 15 Texas Tech vs Colorado State Las Cruces, N.M. 9:30 a.m.
Feb 15 Penn State vs Colorado State Las Cruces, N.M. 11:30 a.m.
Feb 15 Texas Tech vs UMKC Las Cruces, N.M. 2:00 p.m.
Feb 15 UMKC Las Cruces, N.M. 4:00 p.m.
Feb 15 Penn State Las Cruces, N.M. 6:00 p.m.
Feb 16 Texas Tech vs UMKC Las Cruces, N.M. 9:30 a.m.
Feb 16 Texas Tech vs Penn State Las Cruces, N.M. 11:30 a.m.
Feb 16 Penn State Las Cruces, N.M. 2:00 p.m.
Feb 16 Colorado State Las Cruces, N.M. 4:00 p.m.
Feb 16 UMKC vs Colorado State Las Cruces, N.M. 6:00 p.m.
Feb 17 UMKC vs Penn State Las Cruces, N.M. 9:00 a.m.
Feb 17 Colorado State Las Cruces, N.M. 11:30 a.m.
Feb 17 Texas Tech Las Cruces, N.M. 1:30 p.m.