LAS CRUCES, N.M. (Feb. 11) - After opening the 2013 season with a 3-1 record and a win over I-25 rival New Mexico, the New Mexico State softball team hosts the first game of the Battle of I-10 rivalry series on Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 5:30 p.m.
"Like in all rivalry games, you want to try to take care of business at home," head coach Kathy Rodolph said. "We expect them to come here and battle us just like we will go down there and battle them. It will be a good one."
The Aggies are fresh off a 3-0 win over the Lobos to open Rivalry Week for NM State. In the game, seniors Amber Olive and Teresa Conrad stole the plate show as Olive went 2-for-4 with two runs and Conrad finished the day 2-for-3 at the plate.
It was the NM State pitching staff that proved crucial for the Aggies as each of the four hurlers spent time in the circle and collected a combined 11 strikeouts against the Lobos. Sophomore Karysta Donisthorpe earned six of those during her three innings in the circle and allowed just one hit.
NM State was on top most of the weekend as it took just five innings on Saturday, Feb. 9, to close out an 11-1 win over Illinois-Chicago after beating the Flames 8-1 a day earlier. The team's only loss came at the hands of the Nebraska Huskers with a 5-1 loss to open the 2013 campaign.
Game time is set for 5:30 p.m. On AggieVision at the NM State Softball Complex.
Aggies on TV
The Aggies open the UTEP rivalry series live on AggieVision. The first televised game for the Aggies is set for a 5:30 p.m. first pitch and is available on Comcast.
Get all the updates of Aggie Athletics on Twitter and Facebook. Get in-game statistics and in-game updates on Twitter @NMStateAggies and @NMSUSoftball. Find out about all Aggie Athletics promotions and events on Facebook (NMSU Athletics and The Aggie Student-Athlete).
Power in the Circle
- As a team, the Aggies boast a 1.62 ERA through the first four games of the season.
- Sophomore Karysta Donisthorpe leads the pitching staff with 10 total strikeouts, but veteran Alex Newman holds a team-best 1.31 ERA through 10.2 innings worked.
Newcomers in Action
- Freshman Emma Adams holds .400 batting average to lead all the Aggie newcomers after the first week on the diamond. She went 2-for-5 on the weekend with one start.
- Sophomore Kelsie Dodd leads the team with a .667 batting average through the weekend. She started each of NM State's four games and went 6-for-9 at the plate with three RBI and three runs of her own.
- Fellow sophomore Staci Rodriguez hit her first career grand slam in the 11-1 win over UIC on Saturday. She had two bombs on the game and seven total RBI on the weekend.
Scouting the Miners
- The Miners went 2-3 on the weekend to open the 2013 season. The team lost both games on opening day to Sacramento State and former WAC school, Fresno State. They came back on Saturday for a 9-1 win over UC Riverside and a come-from-behind 5-3 win on Sunday over UCR.
- Freshman Kawehiokalani Netane leads the Miners after week one with a .467 batting average after starting each of UTEP's five games in California. She had three RBI on seven hits with three doubles and one triple.
Series History vs. Miners
- NM State holds an 18-9 record over UTEP all-time.
- In 2012, NM State swept the series with a 13-3 win in six innings in Las Cruces before traveling south to El Paso for a 9-5 win over the Miners.